Cloisonné origin / date help

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Abegweit, Aug 3, 2017.

1. toomanytocount

toomanytocount Boredom is a sin.

That's good, I also sell part time on Etsy and Ebay, so I would have a lot pictures too anyway for the listings.

judy likes this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I downloaded Ifanview. It's a small freeware program, and parts of it are a bit clunky, but it does everything I need to do.

I did however just get a ransom demand from Photobucket. They got an email back saying 1) I haven't used them for third party hosting in years, 2)I've only logged in once in the last six months, in a failed attempt to post a few images to a noncommercial message board (i.e. here) and 3) Not one dime for tribute.(LOL)

toomanytocount and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. toomanytocount

I like Ifanview as well, it has some features that not many other image software have, such as making pictures bigger. That's when you have something so small you can hardly see the details, there are limits, but you can experiment with the undo button, and resize it to your liking.

I'm getting serious admonishments from Ebay recently about my bids, and that I should understand I could be outbid easily and really should increase my bid maximum....:( This is after 16+ years on Ebay of tributes and budget crushing fee payments and exorbitant shipping prices caused by their adding more fees for the shipping amount. LOL

4. evelyb30

Like this.... Portuguese silver marks, Lisbon in this case. They love hiding them and make them so darned small I needed to shoot through a 30x loupe and then look at the cropped image on screen to read it. Ifanview might have been easier, but I didn't even think to try that.... DSCF5921.JPG

5. toomanytocount

I have heard of other people doing that, taking pictures with loupes to increase the image size. I am clumsy, so don't think I could hold a camera and a loupe, and maneuver this sort of arrangement for good results.
    Marks is a perfect example. Another really small mark country is Austria and also France, where they punch the tiny marks on the edge and sometimes do not quite do the job properly.

judy likes this.
  6. evelyb30

I'm not even going to comment on French marks. Mom always said if you can't say something nice.... The loupe trick isn't all that hard. If it is, get a rug magnifier or stamp magnifier; I've seen them under both names. They're usually a 10x lens on a folding stand. Stand being the operative word. For marks on plate, you just sit the magnifying glass on top of the mark and put the camera lens on the other lens. Shoot away. I do that too.

judy, Figtree3 and toomanytocount like this.
  7. toomanytocount

That sounds ok the way you explain it. I was doing fine with my old 6megapix camera, for small marks and jewelry details, I found a table top camera tripod was good too.
    Since I got a new camera last year with a 12 megapix, the settings are hard to figure out and my long distance pictures look better than the close-ups, I think they do a lot more auto-correct applications to your images with these new cameras, no matter what your settings are.
    Still experimenting.... lol

judy likes this.
  8. Abegweit

Abegweit Active Member

Hello - thank you all for the great feedback and links. With respect to the bowl's size, please see the following:

Width = 4 and 1/2"

Height = 1 and 7/8"

Top rim = outside edge to outside edge is 3 and 7/8"

Bottom rim = outside edge to outside edge is 2 and 15/16"

Again, thank-you all for taking the time to view and provide feedback.

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

So not a salt dip
    More likely a covered bowl missing its lid.

judy, Christmasjoy and toomanytocount like this.
  10. toomanytocount

So, probably a round cosmetic box or jar bottom:
    Perhaps, something like this one, which is much more recent, but has the lid inserting on the base.

chinesebox.jpeg

11. darryl

darryl Well-Known Member

**Your website is still one of the best sites for cloisonné. I still go and look at it for information. All of us cloisonné collectors really appreciate your work & knowledge! I have way too many Japanese cloisonné pieces :) Thanks!!!**

judy likes this.
  12. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

It looks very much like ones I have seen that are mid-century. Chinese and made for import. The stickers saying China often came off the enamel bottom over the years.