Chinese bowl with Xuande mark. Is it Ming or a new reproduction?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rays123, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

We saw some very nice replicas which sold in big auction houses and even though they are zombie replicas, they have already been sold more than once and becomes an authentic pieces. And most of them do looks exactly same as authentic ones and can pass technology exam.

judy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Surprise ! ;):(

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Asian Fever,
    Thanks for the post. I would have certainly been fooled by his pieces looking at the photos. Not so sure about touching them, there is something to be said about feeling the pieces. My mentor could be blindfolded an she could tell in a few seconds if old or really an antique.
    greg

Asian Fever and judy like this.
  4. Asian Fever

For most excellent zombie replicas, I don't think anyone can tell they are not authentic because they used origional white bodies, materials and producing methods. After production, they will be professionally and carefully sanded. (And then a very easy way and secret way to make it exactly old enough to pass thermoluminescence.) Next step, they will be put into the old tombs and get moistures and "Yin Qi"(kind of psychic atmospher) sucked inside it, which normally takes several months to several years. At last, they will be digged out and cleaned(pictures will be taken to shown they are originally from tombs :D).

The cost of making these replicas is very high - normally cost thousands to tens of thousand dollars, and and these replicas are pretty rare, so sometimes even people know they are replicas, they still will spent a lot to buy them as real antiques. Coz if you are a famous collector and bring them to local chinese museum, they will be taken as rare find.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  5. Rays123

Rays123 Member

It would be great if you could post a picture of it or a link. My bowl doesn't look aged like all the other objects that you have posted their photos or links, it looks like new. You can look at the high resolution photos and see that definitely it wasn't buried under ground or treated to look old or ancient.
    Specially this pic, look how shiny and reflective the metalic portions are:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/153481cri38ftl1/AADvnN-U6yk5CYAr0FnhsCfca?dl=0&preview=P1040957.JPG

6. Rays123

Rays123 Member

Hi Komokwa,
    So what is your opinion about the bowl?

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

My thoughts are just this....
    If Asian Fever says she knows who made the bowl......by the writing on the bowl..
    well, that's something I just can't argue with.

8. Asian Fever

I just know the place where these kinds of charger made, only him left the handwriting at that place - back rim of the charger. And it's his charactor and the way of writing... it's obviously not the right Ming handwriting.
    Should I also show you another blue and white jar with tank and plane on it? We call it modern Ming Dynasty jar. :D

komokwa likes this.
  9. Rays123

Rays123 Member

Have you seen any of his work online? I have been searching all over the net trying to find one porcelain example with the same shiny metallic effect and have had no luck so far. If you ever come across one please post a link or picture. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted