Featured Ceramic Egg-Shaped Whatsit

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bakersgma, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of hatpins as well and will also give it try.

The one you linked is beautiful, janet, and the hole configuration seems to be the same. Like Bev, I also think it's too short to handle the length and weight of 19 hatpins, though.

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Worthpoint doesn't filter. It only presents sold items and it's whatever the seller calls them.

4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

If it were for hatpins, I think the holes would be on at least two sides, if not all the way around.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Well, it does work for the hatpins I have when they are placed in the upper 2 rows, not so well for the rows further down. Unfortunately I only have 5 long hatpins. The box of pins turned out to contain mostly "corsage" length pins. The egg fell forward when I put pins in the 4 holes of the third row. Now it could be that if you had enough pins to fill all the holes and only removed 1 from the top there would still be enough weight from the pins remaining in the upper holes to keep it from falling over, but I don't have enough to do that test.

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I think the more pins you put in, the more likely it will fall over! :eek:

7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The hatpins I'm thinking about are much shorter.

8. Bakersgma

The longer pins that I assumed were hatpins range from 4 to 5 1/2 inches long (pin only, not the pinhead.) The shorter pins that I assumed were corsage pins are about 2 1/8 inches without the pinhead. Did I assume incorrectly?

9. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

No, I was responding to the comment about 12 inch hatpins from earlier. Your experiments make me think this is still a puzzle.
    Of course worthpoint is not a reference, but it sometimes leads to one, or an idea, which in this case didn't pan out.

10. Bakersgma

I agree about Worthpoint. I was hopeful, thinking maybe the seller knew something we didn't. Then my experiments told me that the ID was unlikely.

Draft saved Draft deleted