Featured Can anyone give me information on this?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Strix, Nov 21, 2021.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

"Cool wonder if it’s worth anything?"
    "would have to be significant for me to even part with it."

my....how things change so fast..............;) :rolleyes: :inpain:

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  2. Strix

Strix New Member

Nothing changed fast, I posted it wanting to know more about it. And if I was to sell it yes it would have to be “significant” I’m not desperate for money.

Bronwen likes this.
  3. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

It gives the sword provenance, don't separate them.

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Strix

Strix New Member

Don’t think it’s the same name

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

You said it was the same crest. A descendant perhaps.

Bronwen likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

This document and the sword would be very important to the family they came from. Not to raise any hackles here, but if they were acquired under dubious circumstances, that could be a problem.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Friedrich Wilhelm
    appears to speak about the family crest in great detail (ie the meaning of the symbols used etc) of King Wilhelm III of Prussia

Bronwen likes this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

With the constant repetition of Otto Wenzel's name, I do think this document relates to him. Being raised to the nobility would be an honor granted by the monarch, and references to Wilhelm attest to his authority on the matter.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  9. Strix

Strix New Member

I’m sure it’s of importance to some family I’m just not sure which one the document is quite beautiful in person and like I said all that is hand painted

10. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Bronwen and moreotherstuff like this.
  11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Using Wentzel, I've found some tantalizing tidbits:

From a French reference on German heraldry:

Image1.jpg

From a book on Otto Von Bismarck:

Image2.jpg

And from a German book on I-don't-even-know-what:
    Image3.jpg
    (which translates as "Royal Prussian chief magistrate in Langenbogen
    Wentzel"

These all have associations with a prominent "Wentzel" in Frankfort am Main in 1859.

12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Well, my Wenzels were from Saxony, so that's that.

Bronwen likes this.
  13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

it's of no importance. Frankfurt am Main was a big city then and still is now. there were tens of thousands made and given out every year.
    there is a big difference between Dienstadel and Erbadel in the Central European system; the first one - like this here - was given for services in administration, sometimes military, sometimes as here as attaché etc. and the title was not handed down; the second one were hereditary titles that are much rarer and still have a certain meaning in states that put show over intelligence.
    in Germany a part of populace is mentally so retarded that they give the hereditary titles a value they legally don't have anymore.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  14. Strix

Strix New Member

You may be right, I have no idea. But I find it strange that someone put this much time and detail in something For someone of no importance.

kyratango likes this.
  15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

that was the time before they had copy machines, but offices or scriptoriums. although the invention of typewriters was on its way, it was not thought suitable and unpolite for certifcates well into the 20th c.
    a simple bookprinter received this:
    gautsch2 (792x1024).jpg

16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Agree that it makes a huge difference whether the honor is hereditary or not. I wonder what the documentation looks like for non-hereditary appointments on the British Honours List.

Also agree that it should be irrelevant in this day and age, but the cults of celebrity, exclusivity, and wealth keep such things flourishing.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    Fid likes this.
  17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

big problem indeed. Mom always told me, that the Americans are like little children; seems they dream of princes and kings and queens and castles instead of realizing how happy they should be to live in a democracy...
    too much Disney's Cinderella I guess...
    when I look at the list of EC-countries and see how many still have kings and queens I shudder in disgust...
    somewhere there MUST be some functioning guillotines stored away...:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

komokwa and moreotherstuff like this.
  18. Strix

Strix New Member

DELETED BY MODERATOR

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2021
  19. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I'd be unhappy if I knew nothing about the continent and have to ask around.:kiss:

komokwa likes this.
  20. Strix

Strix New Member

If that’s what would make you unhappy, then you’re not following the rules of being happy of life today.

Draft saved Draft deleted