Can anybody tell me what this was used for, maybe coffee. I don't really care for it, but have had i

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Diane Bean, Apr 26, 2021.

1. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It looks like it has a metal rim. I was thinking a hot water jug, as part of a breakfast set, but I couldn't find much Wheeling at all.

Diane Bean and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Are there any stains on the inside that might give you a clue to its use? janetpjohn seems to maybe have it right with hot water for the table, like for brewing tea. Although it does have a chocolate pot type spout. Hmmm.

Diane Bean likes this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

4. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

By searching Wheeling pottery La Belle Riviere, I found a site that called this piece a Pitcher. If that's correct, water or hot water may be what it was used for. Edit: you could perhaps get in touch with the seller of the book on ebay, explain the issue and see if they'll just look inside and tell you what it was called/used for.

Diane Bean and i need help like this.
  5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Me, too.

Diane Bean likes this.
  6. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

Did anyone post this link? I didn't see it, so here it is:
    http://laurasmith77.blogspot.com/2013/02/la-belle-china-pitcher-by-wheeling.html
    An example of your very pot is pictured there with description (scroll to near end), albeit minus the flowers on yours. It sold on eBay some time in 2012. The page has a Feb. 2013 date.

The description does not identify for what use this pitcher was made. It does say it's 12" (to top of finial) which makes it suitable for water or milk. My guess would be for water to be handy on a night table, covered properly to protect it from unwelcome critters that could find it interesting to drop into in the dark. Yeah, the lid is silverplated!

Diane Bean likes this.
  7. Diane Bean

Diane Bean Active Member

Boy, I hope she got them cheap! Pretty funny!

moreotherstuff likes this.
  8. Diane Bean

Diane Bean Active Member

Thank you so much for the info!

9. Diane Bean

Diane Bean Active Member

Thank you for the idea. It's starting to make sense, hot water!

10. Diane Bean

Diane Bean Active Member

It's pretty clean on the inside, so I am thinking water now. You guys are awesome!

Firemandk likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted