Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

We were. And yikes! Just never a good idea.

Jivvy and kyratango like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Worse, she looks like I do now, thanks to the MS drugs - there's one missing.(LOL)

Jivvy, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  3. Bronwen

Imagine you're as aggravated as I am that physicians who prescribe to treat you for one thing rarely alert you to problems the medication may cause in some other body part/system that is not their specialty. Whatever they're trying to fix is deemed more important. Imagine medical doctors rarely, if at all, take concern for what might happen to your teeth.

kyratango likes this.
  4. evelyb30

They weren't thinking - drugs that mess with your immune system + chronic problem = trouble. I try to force them to think of other consequences, because I have a series of interlocking problems, and treating one can easily exacerbate the next one which in turn sets off the third one ... and I end up in worse shape than just leaving me alone.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  5. Michelle Collins

Michelle Collins Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    Not sure if these are real or when they were made. How much they are worth? Anything would help. Thank you in advance. I have more pics but it wont let me upload anymore.

The pin on the pendant looks much newer than the the pendant. Not sure if it was added later or repaired. It is on a very thin chain that is stamped 14k. The pendant is stamped 900 (silver?) but there is a gold border around cameo not sure if that is gold?

The earrings are stamped k14 have very large backs with designs on them.

2019-05-07-11-48-28-903.jpg IMG_20190507_113725550.jpg IMG_20190507_113612800.jpg 2019-05-07-11-33-19-396.jpg IMG_20190507_113543225.jpg 2019-05-07-11-33-42-581.jpg 2019-05-07-11-46-56-242.jpg 2019-05-07-11-44-23-428.jpg 2019-05-07-11-44-42-257.jpg 2019-05-07-11-40-04-703.jpg

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  6. Bronwen

Welcome, Michelle. The cameos are all cut in helmet shell. The pin on the brooch looks right in age for the rest of the piece. Are you sure the stamp is 900 & not 800? Either would be silver of less than sterling (925) fineness; 800 used to be common for European silver. The twisted wire trim is likely to be gold filled. All are approx. 1950s in age. The chain would not have come with the cameo, so tells you nothing about age or quality. :)

Figtree3 and Michelle Collins like this.
  7. Michelle Collins

Thank you here is a closer image of the stamp.
    2019-05-07-11-33-19-396.jpg

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The pendant/brooch appears to be more finely carved than the earrings. Although they have similar settings it doesn't seem that they all went together originally.

Michelle Collins and Bronwen like this.
  9. Bronwen

Does look like it could be 900, but all the numerals are ambiguous to my eye. Could it be 925? Wasn't able to bring up the photo much. Some other eyes will eventually drop by, perhaps with other views.

upload_2019-5-7_14-55-29.png

10. Bronwen

Absolutely correct. There is a large gap between the quality of the pin/pendant & the earrings, which would be worthless without the 14K findings.

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I just saw something in another thread somewhere here that had Turkish silver at .900. Also, Wikipedia tells me that coin silver is .900. But I don't know whether it's normally marked as such. This cameo doesn't look Turkish to me. (As if I would know how a Turkish cameo would look! :))

KSW, Xristina and Bronwen like this.
  12. Bronwen

Cameos are often set somewhere other than where they were made. Italian workshops seemed to have shipped them by the cargo container load to jewellers in the US & UK. Not sure many went to Turkey though. :)

Xristina and Figtree3 like this.
  13. Bronwen

14. Michelle Collins

Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it. What would you think price wise they could sell for I have absolutely no idea.

Xristina and Bronwen like this.
  15. evelyb30

LOL! Angel Nero? In the words of somebody, I don't think so!

Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
  16. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Bronwen likes this.
  17. Bronwen

Best & quickest way to get an idea is to look at sold listings on eBay for similar items, e.g., 'shell cameo silver'.

18. Michelle Collins

Thank you!

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  19. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I bought this cameo for 10 euros today (I know I probably overpaid, but it was a two-for-20 deal). Figured I'd get the expert's opinion on it, instead of running around Google like a chicken with its head cut off. ;) Pretty sure it's silver-plate over brass or something similar. I like how chunky and substantial it is, with all those flat prongs. It has a C-clasp and bar-hinge, so I assume Victorian? Did I pay too much?
    20190509_125030 (2).jpg

Bronwen and Xristina like this.
  20. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Jivvy, I think she was the inspiration for Dr Who's Weeping Angels!

Bronwen and Jivvy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted