Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Snowman Cometh

Snowman Cometh Well-Known Member

I think you hit it on the noes. If it's not him, it's his double. That is AMAZING! Thank you!

2. Ensakk

Ensakk New Member

Any suggestions on best place to find an antique Cameo? Ran into this in a store recently … know nothing about it, or cameo for that matter. This is to be a one year anniversary gift for my wife. Any info is appreciated!

3. Snowman Cometh

There's no photo.

Ensakk likes this.
  4. Ensakk

Ensakk New Member

Having a hard time posting - file is too large, trying to work through it, sorry

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

6. Ensakk

Ensakk New Member

There we go. Was told it was antique forget the year but very old. 10 ct.

Attached Files:

mirana and Bronwen like this.
  7. Snowman Cometh

I've been buying my wife cameos for almost 40 years.

That's nice. Just don't spend too much on it. I don't know where you are, but in my area of PA or even when I lived on Long Island, that wouldn't be more than $75. The gold is nice. If it's 10ct, that's probably from the UK. The pearls give it a nice look. The carving is nice, it's just not "special". It's unique and simple. Of course this is just my opinion.

My wife would appreciate it. If you're looking for cameos, I'm sure you partner would too.

Always a suggestion when you're buying anything in a second hand store, try your best not to pay full price. They always add more to the price expecting people to haggle. I always do. I always get at least 10% off. If you pay cash, even more.

Best of Luck.

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Around here some stores haggle, some don't, and some places will tell you to leave. Make sure you know which is what if haggling.

I can honestly say I looked at that cameo and didn't see much age on the carving. The back would tell the tale for the setting, but I'd say any pronouncements of "it's really old" should be taken with a grain of salt.

If you like it and plan to use it as a gift because your wife would like it, go right ahead and buy it. It looks well done from here. The carving on that one to me looks 1960s or even later. Modern cameos like that where I live sell for about the price of the setting.

mirana likes this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I see this image often, sometimes carved in shell, sometimes molded in resin. Is the Mater Dolorosa a suitable subject for this occasion? As I said, I see these both in shell & in resin. If all there is to go by is this one picture of the front I rule it as artificial. I don't like the color of the background. What is the asking price?

komokwa and mirana like this.
  10. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Could you post a photo of the back and also close-ups? :D

komokwa likes this.
  11. Bronwen

Closer up it does look like it could be hardstone. But I would also like additional photos if possible.

upload_2024-9-15_14-35-3.png

mirana and komokwa like this.
  12. Ensakk

Ensakk New Member

I cannot get close ups of the one previously posted. But a family jeweler just sent me this set - any thoughts from anyone?

Attached Files:

Bronwen likes this.
  13. Ensakk

Ensakk New Member

Here is the front with size

Attached Files:

14. Ensakk

Ensakk New Member

I mad sure to ask about the back this time hehe

any info on potential value or your thoughts is GREATLY APPRECIATED

Attached Files:

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

pretty....looks like shell...and in need of a good cleaning....

too far away to spot and marks on the metal..

mirana likes this.
  16. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Very pretty brooch and respectable set for wearing. The brooch is carved shell and likely set in gold--the mark looks like it's on the inside bottom of the frame? She looks like a 1930s pretty lady.

17. Ensakk

Ensakk New Member

I was told it is 14k gold. What can one expect to pay for a matching set like this? Is carved shell what we are looking for?

18. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Hmm I can't give you an exact number here, but I encourage you to search eBay for art deco 14k shell cameo booches, 14k shell cameo earrings and rings ..... And then check the box for SOLD to see what others are reasonably paying. There's going to be variation in how nice a carving is, the theme, size, age, etc. 14k will go for hundreds+ on just the strength of gold price though.

komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  19. Bronwen

Ensakk & I have been discussing this on the sidelines and my opinion:

• the cameos are helmet shell & that is usually what people expect when they think of a cameo
    • cameo pin/pendant is 1930s; all other pieces are post WWII
    • the frame on the brooch looks like good gold to me, the clasp may even have a mark, but I would want assurance as to the quality of other pieces & their separate parts
    • I would want to exclude the ring on the right, maybe the other as well, from the deal & expect an adjustment to asking price
    • a brief trawl of eBay just now shows there are some nice things for significantly less money, and they are true sets, not miscellaneous pieces like this

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted