Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. lovewrens

lovewrens Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can't see anything. Sometimes turning the screen sideways seems to give me a better view, but I've got nothing.

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

upload_2024-8-18_19-19-38.png

When I look at it in my photo editing program it looks like a capital D, some space & then an A, with some scribbling underneath. The 3 lines on the left have no significance; I suspect it is where whoever (surely not the cameo cutter himself!) scratched around on the back tested how much pressure to use. I don't think we're looking at a signature. Possibly dealer's marks.

The hinge, clasp & pin length are the clues to age. The safety catch on this one is from 1920s - 30s.

mirana likes this.
  3. Snowman Cometh

Snowman Cometh Well-Known Member

Thank you. That's what the seller told us. The 30s. But, since it was a great grandmother's cameo, it might have been older. Whenever it was made, it's gorgeous.

Bronwen likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

doesn't it need a good cleaning @Bronwen ??

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Snowman Cometh

Snowman Cometh Well-Known Member

It does. But, my wife doesn't like to mess with the cameos. She polishes her jewelry regularly. But, the cameos, she just gently wipes and puts it in the case. I've posted photos of that.

6. komokwa

at her discretion....... but we've seen some cleaned here....and they shine !!!!!!!

mirana likes this.
  7. Bronwen

Cameos & the mount they are in are not always the same age. Either way, it's exquisite.

mirana likes this.
  8. Bronwen

Partly a matter of taste. I like to restore cameos to the way they looked right after the cutting was finished, but some seem to have had some substance (polishing rouge?) left in the crevices for definition. This may be such a piece. However, Mary & her child are not looking as immaculate they should, especially Jesus' chin. If I wanted to keep the outlining I would go after the smirches with a cotton swab & perhaps the tiniest dab of toothpaste.

komokwa likes this.
  9. komokwa

well , to me the whole thing is a hot grimy mess ............

Bronwen likes this.
  10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Personally, I really dislike the appearance of rouge/dirt in the crevices of cameos. Makes me think of "toe jam"... yuck! And to think what organisms are living in that! And cameos are so easy to clean...

PepperAnna, Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  11. komokwa

let me rephrase ..... it's a lovely cameo..... well made.... just the dirt and grime take away from it's beauty ! .. imho

& I'm no cameo expert...... but.... this thread has over 7000 posts...... and after reading it for the past few years........ one tends to learn a bit !! ;):playful::playful::playful:

12. Bronwen

And that was the intent in starting the thread: exposing the cameo naive to the wider world of these gems; to share knowledge among us & with the interested visitor. And of course to put up pretty pictures. :kiss:

13. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I don't mind the "shading" here as much as I do others. Obviously, I'm in the clean-it camp, but I understand why some like this look, or are too intimidated to clean them (even though it's super easy and satisfying! :p).

PepperAnna, Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  14. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Here's a few of the plastic / resin / bakelite I have in my collection. I've gotten most from lots where I was going for another item(s), but the three on the left side I bought individually because I liked the look of them. I think they're a fun low-risk wear.

Plastic Cameo Group 1 sm.jpg

Far left is a Vittoria piece I'm guessing is from the 1980s. Blue Erato I've seen also in a black version; maybe 30-70s?? Middle Bacchante is second half/late? 20th c. but I've only ever seen one other of her in very rough shape. We've all seen the Psyche, but I thought her seed bead frame was interesting...is it original, or added later? Last one is of the ubiquitous Venus and Cupid but I was surprised by how huge and hefty this one was.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2024
  15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I don't see any bakelite in there, unless it's the background of the one at top, middle.

PepperAnna and Bronwen like this.
  16. komokwa

r these carved in any way....or just molds

17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The images are all molded.

18. komokwa

so, how many copies would a mfg make of a molded one...... give or take ???

Last edited: Aug 19, 2024
  19. Bronwen

They're all lovely. What/who is depicted in the dangly one like a little shrine on the far left?

Nothing wrong with artificial as long as some seller doesn't represent as genuine shell or hardstone. The way artificial cameos that are visually very convincing are turning up concerns me.

I have a fair little collection of faux pieces. This is one of my favorites:

Ceres lava glass 3.jpg

20. Bronwen

As far as I know, these are Czech glass & assembled from 2 pieces.:

Green Psyche.JPG Red Psyche 1.JPG Czech Psyche ivory colored.jpg

PepperAnna, komokwa and mirana like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted