Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

mens ears grow over time..

Bronwen likes this.
  2. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Well you'd probably know better than me... ;) But it's not just the lobe. The younger man has a pointed ear shape and the inner ridges are much different imo.

Houseful and komokwa like this.
  3. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Oh ho hoooh but now the seller is offering 20% off. I'm sure it's in budget now! :hilarious:

(I wish it was, anyway... :arghh:)

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Both cameos are of the poet Pascoli? I sincerely doubt it. I think Pascoli is the very skilled cutter. He really mastered the pose with the head turned just a little away from the viewer.

And women's ears also continue to grow.

5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

That's what I think, too.
    But the antiquecameos website seems to have assumed the sitter of theirs was the poet Pascoli, when I/we think Pascoli is the cutter's name, not the sitter's name.

6. Bronwen

She gets superb cameos & does a lot of good research on them, but, like all of us, she is wrong sometimes & in this case I think we have wishful thinking become fact. She also describes the cameo as being 'signed' Pascoli, so just what she was thinking...

We have the advantage on her of having seen 2 Pascoli cameos.

Houseful, bluumz, PepperAnna and 3 others like this.
  7. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

I agree with you both; Pascoli is the carver. Here is info I found. I am in contact with the seller of the cameo. He posted it on a FB group a couple days ago. I provided him the info on Domenico Pascoli. I don't think either of the cameos are of the famous Italian poet Pascoli.
    Screenshot_20240717_111732_DuckDuckGo.jpg Screenshot_20240717_111649_DuckDuckGo.jpg

kyratango, komokwa, Bookahtoo and 5 others like this.
  8. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I bought this from a seller who listed it as a "salmon colored stone" and made sure to mention in the title the gold fill chain this cameo came with, but completely missed the 14K mark on the back of the brooch! :facepalm:

She's nearly 2" with 1.5" being the coral. I didn't think I'd ever find a large coral for sale in my comfortable range, but she was listed less than $100 and I made an offer just above that, which was accepted. :eek: Her frame looks like a leaf and berry motif. I think the stones are probably not glass and are lab sapphires or maybe something like spinel, though I haven't been to test them yet. Some of the leaves are plated in a silver color over the gold, which has no tarnish, so I'm guessing they are white gold? Unless it was made before the wide use of white gold, in which case platinum? But I would think it would be marked for platinum (or silver) if it was used.

Coral Goddess Mirana 1 A sm.jpg

I tried to color-correct her as close to the actual brooch as I could... Coral always auto-corrects so saturated!

Coral Goddess Mirana 1 B sm.jpg

The frame is missing a leaf and berry, and one stone. I know my jeweler could repair them (they make custom work), but I don't currently have any desire to mess with it.

Would I get away with calling her a Juno? Or do we think she's one of those genetic ladies that started mixing up the symbols?

bluumz, kyratango, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  9. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

How stunning Mirana!! What a find, congrats!

10. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Thank you! :oops: She fills one of those holes in my collection that I don't actively look for because I'll just be disappointed at the price tags. That's the thrill of the hunt though, as you certainly know!!

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think you scored! The bitty blue stones look like sapphires, or maybe blue tourmalines. Either way, I'm not sure I'd care.

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

for a C note..even I would not have passed on that........it's very pretty !!!!

aaroncab, kyratango, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  13. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

Excellent find! What a lovely cameo. Congratulations!

kyratango, Bronwen, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  14. Bronwen

I'd say she's a very pretty generic Flora. That mix of white & yellow gold is very 1930s. The stones...? Blue is too rich & deep for small tourmalines. Could be lab grown sapphire. Not sure when it came on the market. Have read it was quite a while after the development of red corundum, which came on the market early in the 20th as small stones used for watch bearings, before blue was made.

kyratango and mirana like this.
  15. Bronwen

A regular cameo bird dog, you are. What city was this guide for & what was the year?Edit: Found it.
    https://books.google.com/books?id=w...oAXoECB0QAw#v=onepage&q=cameo pascoli&f=false

A Handbook of Rome and Its Environs 1875

Last edited: Jul 19, 2024
    PepperAnna, kyratango and mirana like this.
  16. Bronwen

Bonhams seems to have semi-fallen for it.

PepperAnna and kyratango like this.
  17. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

@evelyb30 Thank you! I agree they could be glass and it wouldn't matter to me either.

@komokwa I hope you'd pick it up and wear it too! :playful: Thanks!

@PepperAnna :shy: Thank you!

GIA says Swiss factory in 1915 but I'd probably have to read a very dry book to triangulate things exactly lol. 20-30s definitely sounds right for white gold.

komokwa and kyratango like this.
  18. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Hm it's the same one as from Antique Cameos, but dirtier, so perhaps Bonhams is the source?

PepperAnna, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Synthetic sapphires were in common use in Deco jewelry by the late 20s; they use a lot of calibre-cut stones that had to match exactly. So, synthetics were used routinely. Rubies were made in the lab starting in the 1880s if memory serves.

20. Bronwen

mirana likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted