Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

Thank you, Kyra, for the translation! What a wonderful poem. I wonder who the lucky lady was.

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

PepperAnna, Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

If I'd got this bit properly spaced & punctuated I would have made more sense out of it. Also would have gone better if translator & on line dictionary didn't give 'muer' as 'to molt'.

PepperAnna and kyratango like this.
  4. Bronwen

Sold for $500 US. Think it would have gone higher if bidders believed it to be rock crystal.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's some pretty hot stuff. It makes me wonder who had that plaque engraved and to whom. (wife, official mistress, or another lady altogether.)

PepperAnna, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  6. evelyb30

I agree. The buyers weren't fooled.

PepperAnna, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

The funny thing is, Diana is the virgin goddess, protector of maidens, sort of a proto-feminist. The scene at the bottom of the plaque is Diana with her followers.

8. evelyb30

Another reason it's so good. White-hot love poetry to a girl who won't ever respond... probably given to a lady who darned well did.

PepperAnna, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  9. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Glace was translated.... Ice cream!:facepalm::hilarious:

Figtree3, PepperAnna and Bronwen like this.
  10. evelyb30

It would be.:p:p:p Google doesn't understand "context". It does make me think of a really bad Napoleon dessert joke - La glace. Toujours la glace! (forget Russia, give me that ice cream!)

Bronwen, PepperAnna and kyratango like this.
  11. Bronwen

IM Translator did that for me too. Maybe we're dealing with an AI sense of humor.

12. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  13. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I saw a lot with 3 cameos and instantly thought one looked like a familiar carver. Of course the photos were blasted out and far away so I asked for a closer photo. The signature was only slightly visible when zoomed, but it was as I suspected and I still can't believe it.

Saulini T Gentleman Mirana 1 Asm.jpg

Saulini T Gentleman Mirana 1 Csm.jpg

It was at one point owned by a prominent antique dealer, but I guess she didn't note that it was carved by Tommaso Saulini so the seller didn't notice either. To be fair, the shell is one of those that shimmers when tilted and the sig is very hard to see and difficult to photograph. It makes me more suspect of other pieces that don't appear to have a signature from photos... :watching: These are the cleaned up photos since he was a bit dirty and had sticker residue.

I love the way he does hair and I'm so glad this gent has a beard and moustache to really make the most of the carver's expertise!

I did not think I'd ever be able to afford a Saulini so this is probably going to make me very happy for a long while. :bucktooth:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
  14. evelyb30

I can see why. It doesn't hurt that it's a cute guy either!

15. Vector

Vector Member

a4590aa0b4a7380c8019096cd8fda29.jpg
    2f6ea047c384a63d1131d888694b101.jpg
    4cb51fa083d7be0ada2ac9306105902.jpg
    41cc449dedc9fe53dab5e0ea5be9aa2.jpg
    5810fd6ecdd44042d7e32aefba38e82.jpg

:cat: Recently found a cute cabinet in Ashmolean Museum, Oxford. At first glance, I mistook them for ivory cameos, but upon closer inspection, I noticed the absence of any ivory grain. They turned out to be glass medals as said in the description.

16. Bronwen

I need one of these.

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

18. Bronwen

Tease. You don't let on you bought the lot until you say you had to clean him up. There's definitely a look to Saulini pieces. I bought the one I have from a seller who's normally very sharp about her cameos, but, even though it was visible enough in the listing photo, she somehow missed the signature. Had to compete with one other who clearly had spotted it, but it still topped out at less than it would have if fully described. Had to bite my tongue when some time later she proudly showed me her first Saulini.

Saulini, T gentleman portrait 7A.jpg Saulini, T gentleman portrait 7B.jpg

Is your guy available for the Gents Pinterest board?

19. Bronwen

For starters. :D

kyratango, mirana and komokwa like this.
  20. Vector

Vector Member

Hope you get one soon! ;) I've seen some similar plaster ones before, but the glass ones do look more textured.

mirana and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted