Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I learned that, & to scrutinize backs with as much focus as fronts when the specimen looks promising.

PepperAnna, komokwa and mirana like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

as I do for a NWC mask !!!;)

PepperAnna, Bronwen and Bookahtoo like this.
  3. Bronwen

My hardstone 5th Hour of the Day arrived a few days ago, in an outer box that had clearly been quite soggy at one end during its travels from England; the inner box also showed signs of dampness. Outside appeared to have been pulled open from the wet end; inner box looked like someone had started to pull it open, then left it.*

Anyway, cameo itself was unblemished. Turning out to be an elusive photographic subject when you are no better at capturing sharp images than I am. I now have respect for the auction house's effort. However, she couldn't go on with that schmutzy mug.

5th Hour Day hardstone 1A.jpg
    5th Hour Day hardstone 1B.jpg
    5th Hour Day hardstone 1E.jpg

5th Hour Day hardstone 1F.jpg

It was remarked on earlier that engraver did feet well. The toes of her left foot are delineated on the underside. Foot fetishist?

* There was very good tracking from Royal Mail & then USPS. The final entry, where you would expect a triumphant Delivered, was There was a problem, call [some number where you would never get a person]. But when I opened my apartment door to go down to check my mail, the box fell in.

I have no idea at all what the situation is with my other auction cameo. Supposedly being handled by a 'partner' of the-saleroom.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
    stracci, Figtree3, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  4. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

Beautiful!!! Glad it was unharmed.

stracci, kyratango, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  5. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

Here is one that I think is absolutely beautiful. I got a picture of the back from the auction house, but can't figure out the signature. Above it says Mars and Venus, but I think it is Mars and Bellona, similar to Charles Brown's intaglio (see below glass impression). Thoughts on the carver? I am also wondering if the tip of the spear is slightly chipped? Screenshot_20231209_152943_Drouotcom.jpg Screenshot_20231209_153007_Drouotcom.jpg Screenshot_20231209_151308_DuckDuckGo.jpg Screenshot_20231209_153111_Gmail.jpg

Bronwen, stracci, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
  6. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Aaaaah what a heart-stopper package to receive! The English should know better to water proof packages. :playful: Although clearly they didn't expect it to take a dunk in the ocean between us!

She is so beautifully carved and simply luminous! She looks suspended in water, or space.

7. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

That is a gorgeous piece! Beautiful colors and faces. Maybe the carver is German...Hahn...? :confused:

kyratango, PepperAnna and Bronwen like this.
  8. Bronwen

Even without the label on the back, I would have thought it was Mars & Venus. Bellona has a Wonder Woman-like band at her brow & her nose is straighter & longer. Otherwise seems to be a stock way of depicting a female.

The spear looks so different in the unofficial photos. I think it is not damaged.

9. Bronwen

upload_2023-12-9_17-38-46.png

"Mars Venus" is the same in French and in German as it is in English. Only Italian is different (Marte Venere).

I also see 'Hahn', but have a hard time seeing that basic H as the hand of the person who made the other capital letters. Then that maddening T or F, mystery mark (d?) and 'ar'. Checking a list of gem engravers that was taken from Forrer, I see that there is a German Hahn, Philipp, born in Idar, working in Paris from 1914 on. Does it say "Hahn Idar"?

The one hardstone cameo I have that has more than one number on the back, all but one scratched out, is German. I surmise quality control in a workshop setting where the master finishes a rough cut made by others.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
    Figtree3, kyratango and mirana like this.
  10. Bronwen

She is a nymph, so she wafts.

bluumz and mirana like this.
  11. komokwa

you gals........the more I look here.....the more you all up your game !!!!!!:happy:

kyratango, mirana and Bronwen like this.
  12. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I went away, thought about it, and then wondered if Hahn being a surname then the other word being location/studio/title. Glad to come back to see I was not alone! I can definitely see Idar in this case.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  13. Vector

Vector Member

It's great to see that this thread has been active since 2017. I'm very impressed with Bronwen's enthusiasm. I just recently purchased my first cameo. I would like to share some of my thoughts on this piece and hope to receive everyone's comments and opinions. :)

upload_2023-12-11_0-15-55.png

• Quality of carving
    The overall modeling feels lively and dynamic. The nose bridge, the prominence of the nostrils, the lips, and the slightly exposed teeth, as well as the rounded edges of the upper eyelids, are all well-crafted. The partially obscured ear seems a bit unnatural, and the hair tips aren't carved in great detail, perhaps to create a sense of the hair ends flowing freely?
    • Signed or not - Not signed
    • Subject
    At first glance, it appears more masculine, and I initially thought it was Apollo, but after comparison, Apollo often appears with long hair tied up on the forehead. Then I felt it might be the Goddess of Victory, Nike, or perhaps there isn't a specific subject, just depicting a lady with a laurel wreath.
    • Material - Sardonyx
    • Condition
    Overall, it's in good condition, though there seems to be a slight wear on the nose bridge.
    • Setting - Mounted in 18k white gold from recent decades, very minimalist and stylish.
    • Size - 4.3 x 3.5 cm

14. komokwa

can we see the back as well....
    it's very nice !

mirana and Bronwen like this.
  15. Bronwen

Welcome, Vector. Nice to have another person with an interest in cameos on board.

This one is lovely. It has been my observation that very good engravers tend to be either very good at faces or at hair, but not both. The very best can do both. Think the hair on your lady was left as more of an impressionistic ornament around the face by design, not through any lack of skill. Perhaps some art nouveau influence. The face has dimension, the rounded cheek & chin bringing her to life.

In the Tassie impressions, starting at 3315, there is a run of female busts crowned with laurel classified as non-specific Muses.

mirana, Figtree3, Vector and 2 others like this.
  16. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Sardonyx cameos are actually stone... but the name is sometimes used to describe the darker-color shell cameos, too. @Bronwen?
    As komo says, a photo of the back would be helpful.
    Lovely cameo!

mirana, Figtree3, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  17. Bronwen

Yes, exactly that, pretty much. Sardonyx applies to agate with layers of sard, dark reddish brown chalcedony (cornelian with a tan) & onyx, the name of which comes from the Greek for fingernail, translucent white. Black onyx should be called that, but 'onyx' with qualification has become routine for that material.

Shell that resembles sardonyx in coloring may be called sardonyx shell. Cameos made from the shell should not be described simply as sardonyx; it should be specified that the material is shell, not hardstone.

mirana, Figtree3, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  18. Bronwen

Could you relocate the URL? Want to add this one to my signature bank & like to have the source identified.

komokwa likes this.
  19. Vector

Vector Member

I'm glad to hear that you like it. Unfortunately, I haven't received the package yet, so I only have the side view photos at the moment.
    upload_2023-12-11_15-20-31.png

20. Vector

Vector Member

Thank you so much, Bronwen, for your insightful observations on cameo engraving, particularly regarding the artistry of hair and facial features. Your mention of art nouveau influences is intriguing. Also, I'm grateful for the details on the Tassie impressions. Excited to learn more and engage with this community!

Draft saved Draft deleted