Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

YUMMMMM!

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

May be necessary, but not sufficient. I actually like this version less well than one I had before, which was several versions earlier. You could tweak the results after using the auto correction more easily and in more ways. They have also made the menus much more difficult to see: tiny icons; poor contrast of type on background. I mainly crop, straighten, resize, tinker with color & contrast. Occasionally I put 2 or more photos together so I can compare them.

Aquitaine likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

583 posts
    8000 views...
    not bad for a thread......making a ' cameo ' appearance !! :happy::happy::happy:

Aquitaine, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  4. Bronwen

I'll thank you in a moment. First, I have to groooan. 8,000? Really? I don't often look at the numbers, had no idea. If it hits 10,000, can we have a party? Thanks again. :kiss: (Don't tell your wife.)

Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

8116.....give or take..!
    at 10,000...& i see no reason that won't be reached......we'll bronze the thread !!!

6. Bronwen

7. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

@Bronwen currently for sale BIN at 165£
    Suzanne et les vieillards? "Suzan and the elders";)
    [​IMG]
    signed
    [​IMG]

8. Bronwen

Good Sunday to you. Yes, it is Susannah & the Elders. I have it on my Watch List. You're making me give it a harder look. It does appear to be signed; wish the seller, who has been putting up some very nice cameos, had taken the photo without the pin in the way. It also has random scratches that obscure the deliberate marks. I have an idea what the signature might be, but hard to be certain. May 'take the plunge'. Will let you know. Thanks for reminding me about it. :kiss::kiss:

9. Bronwen

@kyratango @Aquitaine Did you see where it ended up in the last seconds? GBP 289.32/USD 378.34

This one is a satyress & her child. Amazing use of MOP; gives impression of moonstone.

[​IMG]

Aquitaine likes this.
  10. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Ouch!
    And wow!!!

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

12. Aquitaine

Whooee! That's starting to reach for upper levels of the atmosphere!!!:joyful::joyful::woot:

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  13. Bronwen

@kyratango Still considering Susannah, but think what's on the back is a (very old) price:

upload_2018-10-8_1-48-5.png

kyratango likes this.
  14. Cyndie Cherry-Miskelly

Cyndie Cherry-Miskelly Active Member

@Bronwen, I was going to send in a photo of the only cameo I have, which I call a lava cameo. I bought it for myself about 30-40 years ago from a high school teacher who collected antique jewelry and occasionally would call me, if he thought he may have something different, I'd like. He told me about the darkish to army green colored lava cameo and I was intrigued and purchased it. Every time I wear it, I do have at least one compliment or a question, "why is it green, I've never seen a green cameo" ? I went to my jewelry armoire to retrieve it and realized, it's in the garage with a lot of my other jewelry, but I'll send a photo tomorrow...Sweet dreams !!!

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  15. Bronwen

We will be pleased to see it. Here is some info on lava cameos:

https://cameotimes.com/index.php/reference/materials-guide?showall=&start=3

Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
  16. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

@Bronwen
    Do you happen to have a recommendation for a craftsman that can do a custom carved shell cameo? (I'm well aware it won't come cheap and am definitely willing to pay for quality.)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  17. Bronwen

Not really, but what kind of custom do you want? I don't think he does shell, & he seems like kind of a nut case, but this guy is always seeking business for custom hardstone work, portraits a specialty. When the carving is comparable, stone cameos are always valued over shell & it's certainly more durable. Unless you particularly want shell, you might find out about his prices. You can find lots of his work on line. He sells on eBay. The prices he sets himself baffle me. Some pieces are very cheap, others much more pricey; generally I can't see the difference in quality of the work or value of material.

https://sites.google.com/site/portraitcameosite/

Don't miss the section on how looking at cameos can improve your eyesight. His pieces are starting to seep into the secondary market as antiquities.

Someone who does work in shell & who I know is skilled is Aniello Pernice. I'm not on Facebook. If you are:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Artist/Aniello-Pernice-cameos-138404323245623/

He has a big following in Japan. I don't know if he takes commissions, but that pink conch shell cameo on his FB page looks like a portrait to me. If your custom design is not a portrait, he is still who I would check out. He works in what I consider the cartoonish modern Italian style favored by the Japanese, but is capable of doing more classical looking pieces. I bought one from him on eBay:

Phaeton after Gibson modern Pernice.JPG

This seller has a lot of his work; don't know if they have any kind of official distribution deal with him. Most of what they have is in the style I don't like, but here's one more neoclassical:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/253306860820

I'm not aware of any cameo cutting activity in the US at all. If you want to tell me more of your thinking we can put our heads together. It should be possible to get it done. What I don't know is anyone, anywhere, whose work is the quality of the better cutters of the 18th & 19th centuries, much less any that equals the best.

kyratango likes this.
  18. Bronwen

Sounds as though your cameo is something like this, only darker?

upload_2018-10-10_23-37-44.png

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331770451875

Figtree3 likes this.
  19. Bronwen

kyratango likes this.
  20. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

@Bronwen

It is a portrait cameo that I would like to commission. The reason I mentioned shell is that I like the coloring of the shell cameos best. That said, I'd be interested in stone, too, I suppose. It merits more thought. I will check out the work of the two carvers you mention, thanks. When I googled, I came across a few Italian cameo carvers, too. When I have a chance, I'll post the photo of my daughter that I've always wanted made into a quality cameo. :)

Edit: Do you have any idea of the reputation of https://www.thecameocollection.com/

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted