Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

Agreed. That signature on Menelaus looks fake to me. I bet the buyer would be mad if he/she knew.

2. PepperAnna

@Bronwen. More for your cameo board, this time ivory or bone ones from my collection. 20220529_214523.jpg 20220529_214027.jpg 20220529_214044.jpg 20220529_214055.jpg 20220529_214105.jpg 20220529_214121.jpg

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The Louvre has been raising funds to reunite a cameo lid to the agate box it originally topped. They have the box, but the lid had become separated from it at the time of the French Revolution. They have raised the necessary funds, so the piece will be restored. The cameo and cup were made by the Miseroni family circa 1600.

https://www.tousmecenes.fr/en/

Cameo-front.jpg

Cameo-on-cup.jpg

Xristina, Bronwen, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  4. PepperAnna

Thank you for posting this! It is absolutely stunning. I can't even imagine owning something so beautiful.

Bronwen and moreotherstuff like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Quite a piece! Leda & the Swan, obviously. That swan looks very determined!

I don't think anything beats the products of the Miseroni workshop. Masnago also used stones in an outstanding way. From way back, see:

CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Last edited: May 30, 2022
    Figtree3, Xristina and moreotherstuff like this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

So far as affording stuff like this is concerned, it was never available to anyone other than the super rich.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

We can always dream :smuggrin:

8. Bronwen

No, did not see. No longer prowl the listings to the extent I once did; when I was ill did not look at all. Even when being assiduous about it, don't look at etsy. Search too rudimentary & time consuming & so many things that are on etsy are also on eBay.

Not ignoring all the portraits you have so kindly shared with us. Just need to summon up the stamina to work my way through - so much info there!

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Bronwen

moved to signature thread

10. PepperAnna

Glad you are better now! I thought you may have seen them because the seller has 3 of them, and one was already on your board. I can keep posting pics for your boards as I find them. Unfortunately, none have a signature, so we can't know who carved these handsome portraits. I thought maybe Zoellner, but it could be someone else just as easily.

Bronwen likes this.
  11. PepperAnna

Here is a cameo for sale on Ruby Lane with a very good picture of Mouhe's signature. The cameo carving is not the best and I suspect the color is off because the frame is clearly gold in another shot. Screenshot_20220602-054720_DuckDuckGo.jpg Screenshot_20220602-054706_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
  12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

(Just sharing something amusing found on the internet.)
    A contemporary cameo by Aniello Pernice, titled Mona Lisa with Cat :hilarious:

[​IMG]

13. PepperAnna

That's hilarious! Here's a funny one:

Screenshot_20220602-092908_DuckDuckGo.jpg

14. Bronwen

Here's one from my files, not one of mine:

Mouhe Apollo Diana 1A.jpg Mouhe Apollo Diana 1B.jpg

That's an unusually exuberant 'M'; in most instances it is closer to being lower case.

Mouhe Hebe 1B.jpg

Did we ever figure out whether there was more than 1 of them?

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. Bronwen

Ready to bust a gut. Do the cat's eyes also follow you around?

I bought one of his pieces because it adhered so well to earlier standards. Think he had it listed as Aurora. When I wrote to point out it is Phaeton, he said he knew. Guess he thought Aurora would be more attractive & better known to potential buyers.

Phaeton after Gibson modern Pernice.JPG

Figtree3, bluumz and PepperAnna like this.
  16. Bronwen

Too funny also. Have not seen this before. Notice that Cupid & the lioness are being chased by one of Cupid's arrows. (By the tail.) Cupid & his archery were feared on Olympus because they could make you do crazy things & C loved to create mischief.

PepperAnna likes this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The cat is saying "HELP". (LOL) Poor cat!

18. PepperAnna

The cupid cameo came up for auction about 6 weeks ago. It sold for $500, so it appealed to lots of buyers.

Bronwen likes this.
  19. PepperAnna

If it was my daughter's cat, then one front paw would be planted firmly in Mona Lisa's cheek while a back paw would be against her arm and the cat would be stiff as a board.

bluumz and Bronwen like this.
  20. PepperAnna

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted