Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I was wondering that also!

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I have been putting tags on signed pieces, or putting a slip of paper in the box with the names of carvers, more in the event of someone else having to go through them.

3. Bronwen

Keep an eye on them. Being sealed in a wooden display case can promote Byne's disease. Nice though to have a way to display vertically. If I were handy that way, think I would experiment with nylon net held in a wooden frame as a way to show brooches that could be pinned onto the net. Not too many cameos are large enough to sit in a small easel. The shelves of my display cabinet are paved with cameos. A great many others live in their boxes.

KSW and PepperAnna like this.
  4. Bronwen

If I remember correctly, they used to be asking even more for it. I wrote & sent pix of others just like it to make the case that it's artificial. They countered with an offer to buy it at a slight discount. I didn't try a second time.

I've had words with these people too, but they cling to their fantasy, which was allegedly endorsed by museum personnel somewhere:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/132512523476

Xristina likes this.
  5. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

I did the exact same thing. eBay should not allow this. It is false representation of the item- fraud.

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Bronwen

EBay's motto is very much caveat emptor. I reassure myself with the presumption that anyone who would even think about paying $50,000 for a cameo knows better than to pay it for that one.

Xristina and Figtree3 like this.
  7. Bronwen

This just in from France, Ceres, by François Joseph Charles Reverchon, graveur.

Reverchon Ceres 3A.jpg Reverchon Ceres 3C adj.jpg Reverchon Ceres 3D.jpg

BMRT, Aquitaine, fridolina and 5 others like this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Bronwen

Reverchon was at his peak activity 1860 - 1880.

KSW likes this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Aquitaine, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  11. Bronwen

Thank you. She's similar to the Mouhé on the previous page; both French from around the same time. I'm starting to have a feel for these French ones. It's easy to fall into thinking they're all Italian.

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. PepperAnna

Beautiful Cameo! What a nice addition to your collection. I have yet to find a Reverchon. The hunt continues....

Bronwen likes this.
  13. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I’m wondering what I’ve got here… A button or cuff link turned into a brooch? Odd that the pin catch/clasp mechanism is set in a manner that I would consider upside down. No marks that I can find and I have not yet tested the metal. Is it a hardstone cameo? And the figure is attached onto the base rather than carved from it, correct? Victorian?
    Thanks for any opinions offered!

9BB871AD-DE5E-4FD6-8621-F47D60ED043A.jpeg 24E96592-D8FC-4C30-9A79-A6AEA2F2C9D7.jpeg 35DE75B8-D5A5-4D33-BED1-DAC9F2E7910C.jpeg

BMRT likes this.
  14. PepperAnna

Could it have been part of a cufflink? I think button or shirt stud is also a good idea.

bluumz and Bronwen like this.
  15. Bronwen

Cufflink is a reasonable guess. Maybe one got lost & this was a way to salvage the other. Best guess is the cameo is glass, with figure glued on. I think French when I see a well done glass cameo.

Cameo & frame around it could be better matched for size; there are gaps here & there. When I see brooches with the pin running the wrong way I always suspect the cameo has come out & been put back upside down.

PepperAnna, Figtree3 and bluumz like this.
  16. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Thanks for the info, it was cheap but still not cheap enough now that it has arrived and I've seen it in person (seller photos weren't great). Live and learn!

PepperAnna and Bronwen like this.
  17. Willcpfc

Willcpfc Well-Known Member

Good evening,

I have just joined this forum. I have a few pieces that I would like to share and hopefully get some information on.
    This cameo is one.

And help much appreciated.

Attached Files:

Bronwen likes this.
  18. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Welcome! Isn't she pretty, can you show the back please?

Bronwen likes this.
  19. Willcpfc

Willcpfc Well-Known Member

Thank you. Please see attached.

William

Attached Files:

Bronwen likes this.
  20. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Cast something or other would be my guess. No way to guess the size from here. Is it wall plaque size or pin size?

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted