Featured CAMEOS: Show & Tell or Ask & Answer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Dec 20, 2017.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Finally got around to trying to polish the frame up...

20201224_232518-01.jpeg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Bet the marcasites really flash now. Just noticed that carver actually made the rose leaves look like rose leaves.

aaroncab and Figtree3 like this.
  3. Bronwen

My un-secret Santa gift:

Mouhe bacchante 1A.jpg Mouhe bacchante 1B.jpg Mouhe bacchante 1C.jpg

The giver has already been told she is very naughty as it is probably out of her own collection. J. Mouhé. I've never had another cameo that feels as lovely to the fingertips in addition to being so lovely to the eye.

BMRT, Houseful, Xristina and 7 others like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

6C5DA11E-E957-4CDF-AB2F-9A945C926554.jpeg MERRY CHRISTMAS, CAMEO CLUB! :)

5. Bronwen

La Madonna della seddia/seggiola, a popular cameo subject.

We can have a mini-thread, a bit of lint, on Madonna & Child cameos. The Bridgewater Madonna:

Bridgewater Madonna 1B.jpg

Anyone else have one to share?

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Gorgeous!

i need help, Bronwen and aaroncab like this.
  7. Bronwen

Thank you. I feel greedy accepting it, it's so beautiful.

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  8. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

Santa was very good to you! What a lovely gift. It is stunning.

i need help and Bronwen like this.
  9. PepperAnna

I have 3 cameos to share. I am so thankful I found this community. I feel like that is my gift. 20201225_221219.jpg 20201225_221520.jpg 20201225_221335.jpg
    The middle one is hard to photo, but it is my favorite. I like the third one because the Madonna has a dimple in her cheek and the Christ child is properly chubby. Her shawl is also beautifully detailed. Of course, the first and third are after Raphael's Madonna della Seggiola. Merry Christmas all!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
  10. PepperAnna

This was my Christmas gift from my husband. After 35 years, he has learned what I still need in my collection. Now I am glad I lost the other Tignani a month ago. Even with the crack in her coiffure, this lady is much nicer! 20201225_222714.jpg 20201225_222603.jpg

11. Bronwen

Wonder if your husband knew quite what he was getting. Seller had the name mangled, Tingani or something that way, in the listing title, although the photos showed the signature. I know this seller & her photos are never large enough for the enlargement feature to work, so he may have had to squint at them. Glad she has gone to an appreciative home; she has been on the market for some time. Congratulations!

Xristina and i need help like this.
  12. PepperAnna

He didn't know who Fillippo Tignani was, but he knew enough to know that the carving was of good quality and he checked my cameos to see if I had a signed Tignani cameo. His cameo selection skills have improved over the years. Here are the first three he ever bought me, in order of purchase.

20201225_232733.jpg

Then this one.

20201225_232404.jpg

13. Bronwen

upload_2020-12-25_23-19-21.png

This one seems to be a mashup of Madonna della Seggiola, Madonna del Cardellino, & a Madonna yet to be identified, maybe one where she's sitting by a window, reading.

14. Bronwen

His taste developed along with yours. A man who buys you nice cameos. Where do I get one of those? :)

BMRT, Xristina, PepperAnna and 3 others like this.
  15. Bronwen

Sounds as though your collection is very orderly. Is it on display? Do you have an inventory? I did finally make a Word doc with a list of my signed pieces with little pictures, but the pieces themselves are in various places around the apartment, some on display, many not.

PepperAnna and Figtree3 like this.
  16. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I'll take one, too!

Bronwen, PepperAnna and fridolina like this.
  17. PepperAnna

Yes, I have some of my cameos on display. My husband is a hobby woodworker, so he made me 3 hanging display cases. I still have to fill the third display case, but I need some foam core board and I don't feel comfortable yet going to stores.
    20201226_123956.jpg
    He also built me a jewelry box specifically for my cameos, carved ivory and bone pieces. So I expect he just took a peak in there, too. I only have a few hardstone cameo pieces, and none like the one he bought, so I don't think it took him very long to figure it out. Eventually I would like to augment my collection with an unbroken Tignani.

I have yet to start an inventory list. It is something I want to do. I have begun to write info on small pieces of paper and skewer them with the pin stem, so when I look for something specific, I have the info at hand.

BMRT, Houseful, Xristina and 6 others like this.
  18. PepperAnna

One of my pet peeves is when a seller lists a fake cameo on eBay for a ridiculously high price. Here is one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393064888622?ul_noapp=true

I contacted the seller to let him know that it is a piece of costume jewelry and got a nasty reply. I persisted with a second message and got no response. The cameo is still posted as baltic amber circa 1901. Grrrr....

I hope no one buys it and wastes their money.

19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

She's plastic as plastic can be. What I want to know is what the third shot is supposed to be.

Not if I get to him first!

20. PepperAnna

Draft saved Draft deleted