Cameo Signature Help Needed

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, May 30, 2019.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'll have to think about the subject. Suspect a saint despite lack of a clear halo.

Meanwhile, does anyone else see "Lamant" written twice, at right angles to each other, with different 'L's & 't's? Shared work?

2. lovewrens

lovewrens Well-Known Member

I see even more than two. When I turn my screen I see them in a few different places. Maybe more pictures from different angles will help. It's a really nice cameo though.

kyratango, Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Identity crisis?

kyratango, Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
  4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Yes. And the one written horizontally looks like "Lamant" while the one written vertically looks like "Lamont". :)

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I found this gold filled pendant/brooch the other day, 1 1/2"L, marked F.S.G.F. Is the signature/letters on the back by the carver? Looks like 'Sco'. The pendant part is different, I don't think I've seen one with a hinge before. Is the cameo fairly modern?
    any information appreciated
    thanks for looking:)
    Untitled - 1 of 1 (3).jpeg Untitled - 1 of 1 (4).jpeg Untitled - 1 of 1 (5).jpeg Untitled - 1 of 1 (6).jpeg

Figtree3, Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  6. Bronwen

Scognamiglio comes to mind first, although the writing starts awfully close to center for such a long name.

https://www.cascosrl.it/

Figtree3 and cxgirl like this.
  7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thank-you Bronwen, off to check out the link:)

PepperAnna and Bronwen like this.
  8. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

Cameo gurus-- I need help with a signature. I read this as Poinsignon, which I believe it correct. However, in researching, there are several Poinsignon cameo engravers. Does anyone have an idea to which Poinsignon this signature this might belong? Poissingonon cameo.png

Screenshot 2023-10-31 125407.png

Figtree3, Bronwen, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  9. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Hmmm her face looks much like Bronwen's....Erato? I think that was also a Poinsignon?

She's awfully lovely and that's a stunning frame.

10. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

Yes, the frame is beautiful and the carving is very nice. It is for sale, but I am on the fence about it because it is a bit pricy.

11. Bronwen

What a memory Mirana has!

Added to Pepper's example, we can compare 3, which all look like the same hand to me.

Poinsignon Erato.jpg Poinsignon Erato SigB.jpg Poinsignon Lilies of Valley Lisa A.JPG Poinsignon Lilies of Valley Lisa B.JPG

Suspect they are all the work of the M. Poinsignon of 111 rue de Turenne. Albert is recorded by Forrer as working in hardstone.

Figtree3, kyratango and mirana like this.
  12. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I re-read this thread with interest last month so I had a refresher. :smuggrin: That flower cameo is so delicate and lovely! Definitely a match on those signatures.

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted