Featured Cameo Art Help Needed

Discussion in 'Art' started by Bronwen, Jan 31, 2022.

1. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I've enjoyed some digging about The Separated Lovers cameo. I'm sure you must have already researched Tristan and Isolde but still thought I'd mention that, in some versions of their story, a dog plays a part. See HUSDENT here.

EDIT: It is odd that on the cameos shown, it appears to be the young man being dragged away from the young woman, instead of vice versa.

ANOTHER THOUGHT: Hector taking Paris to battle?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
    Bronwen, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I've never seen a cameo carved with an elbow sticking out so prominently. Would think that would be rather fragile? :confused:

Bronwen likes this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Do you mean in particular the pink conch shell one? Conch is pretty tough, & the elbow is not in such high relief as to be detached; the arm still has the support of the body behind it. It is at more risk of getting scratched or dinged, but I would not call it fragile.

antidiem likes this.
  4. Bronwen

Have been rolling around in my head the possibility of Tristan & Isolde. I'm only familiar with the story of Tristram as it is told as part of Le Morte d'Arthur, which does not relate anything about him before he is a knight. If there's an episode of his uncle Mark dragging him away from a girlfriend, it's not in the version I know.

By convention Paris wears a Phrygian cap. This is a scene of Hector upbraiding Paris for not fighting, from a Poniatowski gem.

Hector Paris Helen T925 3.jpg

The adult male breaking up the party is wearing garb that suggests the Middle East, which is often a clue that a scene is from the Bible. This insight is not helping me. Faithful dogs are not a big feature of Biblical stories, are they?

Any Jewelry and bluumz like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Maybe Abraham leading Isaac to sacrifice and that's Sarah on the left?

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  6. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

It is carved in high relief. Here is a picture of that elbow from the side. I don't think it would break off. I have been searching for the subject of this cameo on and off for roughly 10 years, ever since I acquired it. I am stumped. I was glad to see there were other renditions, which makes me hopeful of eventually figuring it out.

20220209_165325.jpg

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  7. antidiem

Yes, and I think it's a lovely light pink typical to conch, correct? ;)
    Thanks for the tip, I won't shy away from "fragile" in the future..

Ah, seeing it from the side makes all the difference, no it's not fragile. Yes the high relief is well braced. It looks so thin and delicate from the front, as would be typical to cameo carving I think. I am just learning about cameos, thank you.

Bronwen and PepperAnna like this.
  8. Bronwen

Yes. Not all conch shell is that color; it can be paler or brighter. But there is no other shell regularly used for cameos that is that delicate shade of pink.

Slowly we'll draw you in...

PepperAnna likes this.
  9. antidiem

Thanks! I see that! :playful::playful:

PepperAnna, Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  10. Bronwen

Dogs can also stand for faithfulness in love.

PepperAnna likes this.
  11. PepperAnna

I found this plaster impression from the Prince Stanislas Poniatowski collection-- maybe the two cameos above with the oxen are another iteration of this subject?

This is described as Cinncinatus leaving the plough to dictate laws to Rome.

Cincinnatus at the plough.jpg

12. antidiem

Sure could be! Thanks, let's see what the others think..

Bronwen and PepperAnna like this.
  13. Bronwen

Thanks for searching. I would never have been able to ID that one either, if I'd come across it in the wild. Similar elements, but I think a different narrative.

Any Jewelry, antidiem and Figtree3 like this.
  14. PepperAnna

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  15. Bronwen

Think I've seen this composition before but never known for sure what it is. Suspect the origin is an engraved gem & not a painting or sculpture. My best shot is that it is Hygieia & a genius; the rod, herb & patera are consistent. If only there were a snake in the scene we would know.

PepperAnna and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. PepperAnna

I will do some searching and see if I can find it. I like how regal she looks. The cameo sold for 240 GBP at auction today.

17. Bronwen

It also has somewhat the look of a Flaxman illustration.

PepperAnna likes this.
  18. PepperAnna

Screenshot 2022-06-01 193419.jpg Screenshot 2022-06-01 193334.jpg
    Yes, I agree. I looked through a bunch of Flaxman illustrations but didn't come up with an exact match. But as you can see below, these are very similar in composition. The first are the gods rushing to war in the Iliad, the second one is of Minerva transforming Ulysses back to his own shape.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
  19. Bronwen

Think I particularly had in mind ones like this of Iris bringing the wounded Venus to Mars:

[​IMG]

Figtree3 and PepperAnna like this.
  20. PepperAnna

There is one of Minerva flying too.
    Screenshot 2022-06-01 200017.jpg

Bronwen and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted