calling Paragon experts

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Barry Stephen, Jun 4, 2022.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Haven't seen this thread in ages. The 1930s is awfully late for hand-painted china, unless Paragon had it done in-house for whatever reason. I'm seeing MR Clark. I'd bet on the A, if it's there, being a design or blank identifier.

Barry Stephen likes this.
  2. MaiseMophead

MaiseMophead New Member

Hello, I bought them in Pocklington Yorkshire, they were only £3.99 for 4 side plates, 3 saucers, milk and sugar. I thought they were pretty and i use these style for my cat and chihuhahu
    Then I thought, I like them and started investigating. IMG_5528.JPG IMG_5529.JPG
    The sugar is undecorated on the outside, is this usual?

3. MaiseMophead

MaiseMophead New Member

IMG_5530.JPG
    I've got one where the K is quite clear. Also, on others the k on 'Clark' has that same kick which makes it almost look like an r.

4. Barry Stephen

Barry Stephen Active Member

Hi, thanks for the pics, yes definitely the same pattern and signature. I guess yours are closer to where they were done, so mine is the stray as I figured, not too many potteries up here...Welcome to the site, you will learn a lot here. I don't drop in as much I would like, so many interesting snippets of history to be discovered and snapshots of the lives of interesting people now sadly gone. Regarding the sugar bowl, maybe she never got around to completing the set? Now we just need to find some cups :happy:

MaiseMophead likes this.
  5. Barry Stephen

Barry Stephen Active Member

just to add to what others said, regarding the sugar bowl, I think probably the transfer patterns were put on in the factory, then the set was given out to the hobbyists, so either the original design was to have no outer decoration as it would be largely unseen, or the transfer simply wasn't put on meaning that she couldn't overpaint it. I'm just guessing.

MaiseMophead and kentworld like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted