Featured C. M. Thompson & the Wild Horse case

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Figtree3, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WOW!!!! ALL AMAZING AND FASCINATING!!!!! GREAT STORY!!!! I LOVE how many politicians thought they should "claim" him!!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  2. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Fascinating Fig!

Good to see white collar crime being punished :)

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I was born in the Army hospital at Ft. Leavenworth because my parents were BOTH in the Army. My mom had to get out when she found out she was pregnant. Growing up, whenever I had to state my place of birth, I got one of two questions. 1) Were there Indians around the Fort; or 2) Was your mother in jail? Nope and nope. Well, maybe yes to the first, but it wasn't Hollywood and the jail is on the other side of the river from the hospital. I love these old stories. Maybe he made money going around talking about his experiences. Kind of an old time motivational speaker.

cxgirl, Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I've done more looking... and still haven't found the original court decision. It was heard in the Federal District Court in Nebraska. I did find that those who were convicted tried to appeal this case multiple times, in 1920 and 1921. However, the Appeals Court would not hear the case again. Here is one of the descriptions of what they tried to do on appeal.
    https://books.google.com/books?id=w9w3AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA365&lpg=PA365&dq="thompson"+"wild+horses"+omaha+case&source=bl&ots=Sap18KCEXM&sig=FVnrFMU48z36EqwVwqSzGdoZ-qA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjw9r7fqqnRAhUF2IMKHSuODSIQ6AEIJzAC#v=onepage&q="thompson" "wild horses" omaha case&f=false

I also found more newspaper articles. This one is from North Platte, Nebraska:
    http://nebnewspapers.unl.edu/lccn/2010270504/1917-01-05/ed-1/seq-7.pdf

In an Arizona paper there was an article saying that C. M. Thompson said that he took some of the crucial papers relating to the case home, and mice ate them: [Note: I tried a link that didn't work since I had cropped the article out of the paper, so I deleted the link.]

Sort of like "the dog ate my homework"?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted