Featured Buying glass for fun and profit.....

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by verybrad, Jun 14, 2023.

1. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I have a decorating book around here somewhere from the 70's I believe. The colors were definitely out there. I am still horrified by the wall paper I picked out for my bedroom. Oversized flowers in yellow, white and black. Ugh. And white carpeting that was impossible to keep clean. Even tho I never did drugs, it looked like I was trippin when I picked that decor out. LOL

The lido seems to be a popular pattern for buyers.

Many times the shows on tv will influence people as to what they want to buy for the homes. Mad Men did a great job with MCM. I have no clue what on tv is hot since I don't have streaming and that is where the hot shows are.

2. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

I do feel nostalgic when I think about the orange, yellow and brown mushroom wallpaper and the avocado green carpet that was in my house when I was a kid. And, I do have a set of the Correlle gold butterfly dishes just like my Grandmothers. I purchased the whole set, serving trays and all, for $15 dollars out on a farm. But, I stopped at the dishes.

3. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Gosh, I was cleaning out my closet (something I rarely do, but I'd run out of hangers, LOL) and some of my more ancient t-shirts were such better quality material than what is sold today. In my day, Libby seemed to be the choice for everyday drinking glasses.

verybrad and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. kentworld

My friend's parents had those bumpy green glasses -- I remember them well. Your mother sounds like she had some sense of taste unlike the people I babysat for!

5. kentworld

I was married in 1980 but the first apartment that my husband and I lived in was obviously decorated some years earlier. You would not want to look at the brown and gold swirly wall paper design if you were tripping! :D

6. pearlsnblume

7. pearlsnblume

Not my picture but it sums up the era.

komokwa likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The cabinets may well still be in place and have kept right on truckin' to this day. Clothing and such from the era really was made better than what's sold now. Glassware too.

cfh, pearlsnblume and verybrad like this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

She did. 50s modern was the trend for her while we were growing up. Not the high end stuff but stylish and functional. I think she reupholstered our 50s sofa 3 times.... LOL! The kitchen was done the year after I moved out in '73, so very different than what we were accustomed to. I know she was quite proud of that kitchen at the time.

kentworld, ola402, cfh and 2 others like this.
  10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Our house was built in the 1970s. When we bought it we got a master bath with avocado sink, tub and toilet :eek:

I saved all the house photos from the sale 20 years ago, they didn't have a photo of the bathroom ;)

kentworld, verybrad and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. evelyb30

I used to have the butt-ugly pink bathroom from 1960. The avocado would have been an improvement. It was three shades of UGLY putty pink, none of which really coordinated. I was soooo sad when a pipe leaked and it had to be all torn out.:D:D:D Well, my wallet was sad but the rest of me wasn't.

kentworld, pearlsnblume and verybrad like this.
  12. pearlsnblume

verybrad likes this.
  13. evelyb30

Nothing jumping up and down and screaming at me, but I predict the sale will be wall to wall shoppers. The lighting may well be first thing to go.

I'm a prize cheapskate. My highest spend for a single piece was $36, but not for resale. Made? Not a ton. I don't sell on on line any more and when I did, didn't sell fragile items unless I could double-box it. Got drop-kicked one time too many. My glass gets sold at the wholesale level to another dealer, so I about make gas money on it.

14. pearlsnblume

Ruth this is a second time around sale for that estate sale. So maybe there won't be many there. If I am in the mood maybe I will go to browse.

verybrad likes this.
  15. evelyb30

Those who know won't go. But they might have unburied something. I've found things that way, buried in the attic or in a chest under a pile of glassware. Sometimes the prices drop too if they need to get stuff gone.

pearlsnblume and verybrad like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That jug and glasses would sell really well.

my parents married in the fifties, had a new bathroom in the early seventies. White. I had a new bathroom in the mid seventies. White. My mama was rather wise on colours and fads.

17. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I once paid $1000 for a Tiffany Favrile compote. I figured it to be potentially worth close to $3K. After schlepping it around for over 2 years, I finally sold it for $1600...... The most profit ever for a piece of glass for me. However, I probably could have made 10X that in that time period buying multiple lesser items with my $1000. I also had the burden of caring for this piece of fragile glass over the years I was trying to sell it.

I still think it was worth more than what I eventually sold it for but, obviously, the customers did not see it the same. This was back when I used to sell a lot of higher end items. I stepped a bit out of my comfort zone on this purchase. My primary stock was arts and crafts furniture, pottery, metalwork, and art. The Tiffany fit in nicely but was not a natural purchase for my arts and crafts period buyers. I don't regret buying it but learned to think a lot harder before making similar purchases.

18. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

P1930466.JPG
    Heavy crystal bottle with cut design. Silver collar hallmarked in Sweden. Listed on feebay for ten days with no views. Stuff like this used to sell.

19. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I paid $75 for a Loetz vase with Art Nouveau silver overlay. I think the value is $1,500? Doesn't matter to me though since it lives in my china hutch ;)

I did pay $50 for a set of 6 Fenton Silver Crest footed tumblers that I sold for $300. Not huge numbers but I was very happy with the profit!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  20. pearlsnblume

I overpaid for many things in the beginning.
    My lowest price I ever paid with best return was a Fire King Mug with Snoopy The Red Baron on it. Paid $5, sold for about $150.

The estate sale runner told me $5 and then the fella that was running it with him saw it and said that the price was too low and how it was highly collectible. But they honored the price in the end. I could not get to my car fast enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted