Featured Brooch with Dangles

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by BMRT, Apr 25, 2020.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I apparently have some Viking DNA or something in the dim past, but all of the family I can trace is English(assorted locations), German (assorted), French/Alsatian, Polish and Czech. Not a drop of Scandinavian in the lot as far as anyone knows.

When we were asked to dress as our "ethnicity" in high school, I wore overalls and a railroad hat. My late dad was a rail nut and there were railroad employees all over his side of the family tree so... close enough!

SBSVC likes this.
  2. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

Oh @evelyb30 ! A virtual handshake! I grew up in a railroad family. I traveled on trains with a name tag around my neck since I was 5. Deposited with the train's head conductor in his locked compartment, I and my siblings traveled from one end of Sweden to the other to visit relatives to stay during the summer vacations. We were so spoiled with icecream and treats the nice railroad officers gave us, those were the days!

SBSVC likes this.
  3. evelyb30

I'm jealous! I'm too young to have done that. My family worked for the freight lines and by the time I was born they'd all retired or died. American passenger trains of the proper sort all but disappeared by the time I was born. The national line came later, but it's not the same.

4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:hilarious::hilarious:Loool!!! And now, this info will spread all over ;):nailbiting::joyful:

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The ridiculous dangles weren't part of the original brooch though. It looks like some of the original mirror dangles were missing and someone with no sense of tradition thought it was a good idea to add random dangles left over from craft projects.:banghead: It is an insult to Aksel Holmsen and the tradition of Sølje.

It would originally have looked like this one, also by Aksel Holmsen:

[​IMG]

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And it will be all Cheryl's and my fault.:hilarious:

DragonflyWink and kyratango like this.
  7. evelyb30

No, it's the fault of whoever made that franken-brooch.

Draft saved Draft deleted