Featured Brooch with Dangles

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by BMRT, Apr 25, 2020.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Here's a really lousy shot of mine. I didn't realize it blurred out on me and I've already put the brooch away again. Got a nice clear shot of the marks though...when I can get the darned thing to upload. (I resized it already but the site has gone brain-damaged).

DSCF3977.JPG

kyratango and BMRT like this.
  2. evelyb30

3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Nice (or least looks like it probably is), Swedish - G. Graumann, Falun, 1898...

~Cheryl

kyratango, Any Jewelry and Xristina like this.
  4. evelyb30

I'll have to get up the energy to try again tomorrow. I was told on another board that it was Norwegian, but Swedish makes more sense from the name.

Xristina likes this.
  5. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

6. evelyb30

Sure looks like it! I ran the article through Google Translate, there isn't much of it:

Carl Gustaf Graumann, born November 22, 1865 in Falun, died November 18, 1945 in Falun, was a Swedish artist, chisel, engraver and silversmith.

He was the son of jeweler Carl Gustaf Graumann and Maria Lovisa Lindbom. After finishing school in Falun, Graumann traveled to Gothenburg where he studied art for Bruno Liljefors at Valand's painting school before continuing his education for Jules Joseph Lefebvre in Paris. He then made study trips to Brittany and Algeria before returning to Sweden. His visual art consists of portraits, genre paintings and figurative motifs as well as depictions of the west coast nature. Graumann is represented at the Theosophical Society's gallery in Point Loma, California and with a silver coffee service at the National Museum [1] in Stockholm.

Xristina likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, I always though the word for silver was sølv, looks like I remembered that correctly.
    Agree.:)

DragonflyWink likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Goed zo! Another closet Dutchie, welkom/welcome.:playful:
    Since I've been here, a lot of Dutchies have been exposed.:shifty: And others are lining up for Dutch citizenship, hoping to get their hands on some traditional coral jewellery.:cool:

kyratango and Xristina like this.
  9. evelyb30

Or more likely the Dutch health care system! Time for coral later.

10. Any Jewelry

Yes, that is more urgent now. I hope you all get the care you need if you get infected, which I hope you won't, of course.:nailbiting:

Xristina likes this.
  11. DragonflyWink

12. Any Jewelry

Ah yes, the famous ancient Assyrian sølje brooch with a rare reference to elephant worship as practised by the Sumerians after their encounter with the Indus Culture.:rolleyes:
    As we all know, Aksel Holmsen was an expert on ancient Assyrian art.:pompous:

I think I will lie down in a darkened room now.

13. DragonflyWink

Sorry, cruel of me to post it, should have known by my own reaction how it could affect sensitive eyes - but what's your take on the rhinestone dangles? Having a hard time figuring out their significance...

~Cheryl

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

The greenish ones symbolize the eyes of the Tiamat, the Goddess of the sea, the sky and of eternity. The amber ones stand for the eyes of Apsu, her consort.

kyratango, Xristina and DragonflyWink like this.
  15. DragonflyWink

Ahhh, of course - thank you! Silly me, I can be so dense at times...

~Cheryl

Xristina and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Yes, I thought it strange that you didn't remember, it is common knowledge. Must be the lockdown, it is affecting everyone in different ways.:wacky:

Xristina and DragonflyWink like this.
  17. evelyb30

Lockdown is an excuse for posting it; what was someone's excuse for MAKING that monstrosity?

kyratango, DragonflyWink and Xristina like this.
  18. lizjewel

Good ol' Axel... couldabeenali'llundadainflunsssence when he dreamed that one up. If I hadn't seen the plaque image I wouldathought it was an oriental-issue fake... Oh, well. No one is pouifektallzetime.

The Norwegians aren't the only ones creating strange jewelry for tourists with mo' money than brains. This li'l gem was created by an artist in New Hope, PA (a Philadelphia outlying town, often called the Santa Fe of the North, used to be anyway). It's brass and not terribly attractive but she got the sølje design down pat.
    Signed:
    HAND WROUGHT
    GRET BARKIN
    NEW HOPE PA

Attached Files:

19. evelyb30

As soon as I saw that brooch I thought "I wonder if it's..." and clicked the second image. Yep - Gret Barkin. I've found her work before.

At any rate, here's the front of my Swedish piece. It hasn't been cleaned since... possibly ever. DSCF3983.JPG

Any Jewelry and DragonflyWink like this.
  20. lizjewel

Great image, @evelyb30 ! Nordic with a taste of Arts&Craft I'd say, lovely piece. Now you just gotta get your bunad [dress] to go with!
    If you have Scandinavian ancestors and can trace back in which region/county/parish they were born, you can still get the authentic bunad costume from that county. Although not massproduced you could get one sewn to fit you based on pictures of an authentic style from your ancestral region.

One's folk dress was always particular to the exact county of birth as well as local parish. Which is why if one was born in another county/parish than f ex one's mother, one would not inherit her folk costume but be required to get one from one's own birth region. I was born in Östergötland (the county of the East Goths) so wear their style. Mother was born in southern Sweden, Scania, and therefore wore their regional style folk dress.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted