Featured Bronze Aesthetics

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Ghopper1924, Aug 7, 2024.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Oh my, she is a beauty @Ghopper1924 :) I think she looks lovely there, on display for all to see.

lol mmarco:)

laura9797, judy, johnnycb09 and 5 others like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks great there but think you need a bigger chair. Looks a bit diminutive in relation to everything else. I realize a bigger chair might obscure the view of the clock, so maybe move the chair to the other side of the table and move the table to the right a bit.

3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Thanks @verybrad !
    Stupid small 1870 people! Why did their armchairs have to be so small and low? I would love to have bigger chairs on each side of the table, but I have trouble finding bigger period chairs. The search goes on!

Figtree3, laura9797, judy and 5 others like this.
  4. Ghopper1924

@verybrad et. al:

Here's a larger picture of the immediate environment, with Halcyon at the right rear, a bit backlit due to the time of day. Does this change your mind about anything?

1.jpeg

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

no...

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I vote she stays put; her gentlemen callers will simply have to have their assignations in the front parlor.

laura9797, judy, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  7. verybrad

With your large furniture pieces in the corner and having 2 chairs, I don't see how it could be set up any better. My initial comment was based on the idea of having a single chair so ...... nevermind.

Here is a separate second thought: Is there enough room to pull the tables and chairs forward and to the left, leaving room behind to get to the secretary? Realize that it would probably cause a problem with the lamp cord but this would open up the window area and give a better sight line to the clock. Without knowing what else is in the room or where the entrances are, it is hard to come up with a better solution. I don't hate the way it looks and this may be the best set up, given the parameters you have to work with.

8. Ghopper1924

@verybrad :

it may be possible to do what you’ve indicated. The entrance to the room is unseen to my direct right and there are French doors behind me. Will try your idea, which it would seem to me would pull the table and chairs off axis with the picture window behind them. However, we eschew perfect symmetry for greater overall balance, so who knows at this point?
    I do appreciate your thoughtful analysis of the situation!

9. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I can solve your problem easily @Ghopper1924
    Send me the small chairs.. I am petite and the bookcase as well, I have many cookbooks and we can call it a day. :D:D:D

10. verybrad

I am actually not generally a fan of symmetry. Prefer groupings in odd numbers and layering.

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Odd numbers or sizing actually works better than symmetry, unless you're Hercule Poirot.

laura9797, verybrad and Ghopper1924 like this.
  12. komokwa

or a gallery owner who delights in arrangements that draw the eye to a quiet balanced design ..!

13. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

that LAMP!!!!!!

pearlsnblume and Ghopper1924 like this.
  14. Ghopper1924

@pearlsnblume You would have first dibs, my petite friend!

@laura9797 :
    The lamp is a 1960s creation based on a rare Tiffany shade combined with a bronze Unique Art Glass and Metal “tree root” base. Both originals would be ca. 1910 and made in New York.
    I have seen one of the original Tiffany shades (with its original Tiffany base) sell, but don’t know the price. Based on comparables, I’d say it was well in excess of $100K.
    Combining the best of Tiffany with the best of Unique Art Glass and Metal was an inspired choice. The lamp is huge and built like a battleship; the shade has over 1,000 pieces. But, needless to say, this lamp is not worth over $100K. However, these 60s lamps are now bringing in significant $ and have become collectible in their own right.

kentworld, Figtree3, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  15. komokwa

it's still stunning !!!!

16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Please post an updated photo if you do make the changes Brad suggested. :)

17. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

OK, she's gorgeous. And she and I would have a lovely conversation whilst I peruse the titles in the equally desirable bookcase. I think she belongs where she is.

18. Ghopper1924

@Figtree3 and @verybrad :

Here you go! Backlit, but I think you get the picture. Nice try, but I think I'll pass. :)

1.jpeg 2.jpeg

19. verybrad

Does show off the clock better but, with that other table off to the left, makes it awkward. Also, the other chair no longer has a place. This is not exactly what I was thinking but didn't realize there was another table involved.

Figtree3, Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  20. komokwa

Ghopper1924 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted