Featured Brass Binoculars

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by cxgirl, Dec 16, 2017.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

but if ya cut at admirals oin half they sure do get colser to CZX's.......

cxgirl likes this.
  2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks for all the replies folks:)
    I wondered if they were decorative also spring. Yes, they work and magnify objects, I'll have to check the lens to see if they are flat or convex. I found another pair, they have the leather in place, called Twin-Telscope Binoculars.
    I've just found a site on the history and design of binoculars, will see what I can find there.
    http://fp.optics.arizona.edu/antiques/Telescope/Catalogue/B28/B28.htm

komokwa likes this.
  3. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Made in India compasses,telescopes,sextants,etc.Ebay has hundreds of them.

aaroncab likes this.
  5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Yes, I saw those, I posted that link at the beginning of the thread.
    could be but I'm not seeing or finding any the same shape - maybe I'm using the wrong search term?
    thanks for the link Aaron:) Yes, those are very similar, they and the ones in the first link have loops to attach a strap but mine don't - maybe that company made them both ways? I'll see what I can find through them!

7. Deangreen

Deangreen New Member

I don't know if this is helpful, but here is a pic of brass binoculars I have. The manufacturer is named on the eyepiece and the makers mark is a "bee". Maybee you can look for tiny bee on it.

Attached Files:

8. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

What you have are a pair of binoculars made by LeMaire of Paris. I don't see any such markings on the OP's one. I don't think we'll ever know.

9. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

If you look closely at the brass near the screw, you can see the low quality workmanship, beneath that of any other binoculars I've ever seen, and I’ve seen many hundreds at least. The brass is poorly cast, spongy and not anything you’d find in real binoculars. There are other shortcuts visible and lack of a maker’s name is just one of them. The nice decorative item you have just isn’t what most people would consider an optical instrument in the same class as binoculars acceptable for use in applications such as viewing sporting events etc. Here’s a blow-up of the area showing spongy brass but if you look closely that problem is pretty widespread.

9D235363-6F38-4457-B08F-B5AFE01B7D9C.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted