Featured Bone with incised designs

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Potteryplease, Dec 30, 2022.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

'2'-Beautiful tools,care to share sum of your baskets ?

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Well, this thread has gone sideways, as often happens.......... Please excuse the intrusion.

No, I have not signed any. Perhaps I should, but it would interfere with the clean appearance and feel.

I buy the bones at the local pet store, where they are sold as bones for dogs. They are already cleaned and sterilized, so no processing involved. I select ones with the thickest walls, and they are about 7" long - a good length. I cut them lengthwise on a bandsaw, and can usually get 2 or 3 rough blanks out of a single bone. Then shape on a grinding wheel, followed by refining with wet-dry sandpaper, and a final polishing on a buffing wheel.

Here are some of my baskets. Sorry the 2nd photo is a little blurry - trying to capture my assistant.
    my baskets 1.jpg my baskets 2.jpg my baskets 3.jpg

3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Ils Sont Magnifiques! Thank you very much, 2mb...have you an online shop for your baskets? The round one at the top of the first pic is particularly appealing!

I'm grateful for the description of your process for creating those tactilely attractive awls.

May I PM you about the possibility of a commission?

4. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Wow @2manybooks! That's amazing. I'm sure those well-finished products are the result of lots of prior practice. So cool. Thanks for sharing these.

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted