Biscuit jar with silver handle. Its unmarked and 9" high any idea on maker?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Mar 12, 2021.

1. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Yea, sorry, I was thinking it might be the owner or decorator not the maker of the glass. I keep finding satin glass jars in this shape said to be Mt Washington but that's where my knowledge ends.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I love the fact that sis has found the person.

TraceyB, komokwa, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Not sure if anyone’s already said the exact same thing, but I would be thinking... “ it was Marjorie’s Mother’s....Mildred White Hayes” .....and has anybody thought about polishing the inside of that ?silver? Rim where there seems to be a bit of writing???....(3rd image down) WITHOUT GETTING THE JAR WET & LOSING THAT INSCRIPTION ON THE BOTTOM!!!! Maybe start with a sunshine cloth??? Just my thoughts on it....

4. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for a fun discussion. Does anyone see this pattern as Mt Washington? I don't see anything quite like it.

TraceyB and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

It always seems a shame when someone goes to a lot of trouble to identify family pieces and then over a century later, they are again a mystery. it looks to have been painted by the original owner. I would call the design “Intestinal Scrolls with Flowers” or something like that.

Darkwing Manor, komokwa and TraceyB like this.
  6. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I finally found a match for the fittings. The seller claims it's Mt. Washington but it is unmarked. I think the term has become a fast and loose dealer term with no solid attributions. Mt. Washington was so prolific and tableware items hand-painted, so you may never find an exact match. Plus, the glass was married with the fittings made by another prolific company, Pairpoint. There is also a marked difference in quality between their simpler table ware and the higher-end design line peices with specially formulated art glass effects, and more skilled painters, such as Burmese and Royal Flemish. I think you may have to settle for "Wild Rose with Rococco Ruffle" if you like. https://www.etsy.com/listing/961264...rest&share_time=1613076631000&utm_term=so.slt

mt wash.jpg

7. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

PS- Did you look for a mark on the metal?

Bakersgma likes this.
  8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I agree that silver needs a good, gentle polish. There may be marks that OP just can't see, maybe not, but the silver will look better and be happier ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted