Best way to clean antiques and cast iron?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Angelina Dugo, Apr 21, 2017.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

We're in the Chicago area.

Well since I am in Columbia, SC I don't think I will be of much help. :(:(

I will try to help as much as possible on-line though, as will everyone on this forum. :happy::happy:

I think your idea regarding a storage unit might be valid if you really need to get the house cleared & sold quickly. If you want to realize the most it is going to take you some time to do this process. JMHO

I will caution you though sometimes those storage units can become a trap because it is out of sight out of mind. You will need to be diligent about clearing out the boxes so that you can either downsize to a smaller unit or move out all together.

I was quite serious about the Red Wing crocks & Crocker Farm Auctions. The prices they get for their pottery is sometimes quite extraordinary. They have a page of past sales that you can check out to see what some of their pieces have sold for at past auctions. They will do the initial assessment on-line via photos because they are located in Maryland.

Angelina Dugo and judy like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I just put what's left of my folks furniture in a 10 x 10 unit....trap is right !

judy likes this.
  3. bercrystal

I just put what's left of my folks furniture in a 10 x 10 unit....trap is right !

Sometimes you just have to step back & take a break for a while. You are still dealing with both of your parents & spending time with them is more important than going through boxes of stuff.

yourturntoloveit, judy and Bakersgma like this.
  4. komokwa

& I still do.....but my modest duplex looks like an antique shop....from art to silver , glass, pottery, furniture, stone.....dishes, pots and pans.....sheesh !
    I'm losing track of my own junk...cuz it's now under their junk...

judy likes this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Well said, Peggy. I was trying to figure how to say that nicely.
    I think the first step should be sorting for an estate sale. Moving only the things that can be dealt with at a later date.

The typewriters may take time to research. The phones as mentioned might have value.
    Pyrex from the 1930s -70s can bring good money.

Boxes of wheels, chair legs etc - You might want to call in someone who specializes in restoring antique furniture and just sell the lot.

Post as many threads and pictures as you like.
    We're here to help as much as we can.

6. bercrystal

Post as many threads and pictures as you like.
    We're here to help as much as we can.

I agree wholeheartedly!! Don't ever get the idea that you are being a pest either, because we as a group love to look at pictures of old junk - uhh I mean treasures. ;):D:D:D

Also I really do believe as a group we have pretty much all the bases covered & someone will be able to help you with anything you could post. Also, if no one in the group can help there is a very good chance that someone will know of someone who can help you out. :happy::happy::happy::happy:

7. Angelina Dugo

Angelina Dugo Member

Thank you all so much! Truly. I felt like I was being a bother since I just have no clue what I'm doing. Her home isn't in any shape to do an estate sale with the stuff in it, so we need to get it moved somewhere. And our house, though big, can't even begin to have the room to have things set out everywhere, especially with our small kids. Which is why the storage is our best option. So far I've just taken things I think I can handle for a moment. She's got about 20 crocks there. I know Red Wing and then I took an 8 gallon Western Stoneware home with us. I'll post a couple pics in another thread. She worked for a phone company back in the day so there are vintage brand new in the box phones, plus antiques switchboards and things like that. Her home is 40 minutes from here and I just have limited ability to move much in our suv's with the child seats. We'll literally have to enlist in a moving truck at some point but that freaks me out as well because everything will have to be carefully handled. As far as where I'm thinking to sell, there's this place right by us that I'm thinking of doing.

https://www.zurkopromotions.com/grayslake-illinois-vintage-flea-market/

8. Angelina Dugo

Angelina Dugo Member

IMG_5472.JPG
    Chip in the bottom IMG_5471.JPG
    What's with the 54#? My guess someone handwrote the weight..? Should I wipe that off?
    IMG_5473.JPG

9. Angelina Dugo

Angelina Dugo Member

IMG_5475.JPG IMG_5474.JPG
    This is pretty cool too. It's "vintage" but it's brand new in the box and the lamp shade is brand new in the box!

judy likes this.
  10. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Little interest to phone people. It would probably do quite well on ebay to the Peanuts people.

judy and Angelina Dugo like this.
  11. Angelina Dugo

Angelina Dugo Member

There's a switchboard like this (photo borrowed from eBay) in the attic but in better shape if I recall. It was super heavy so my husband is going to have to help me get it down. Again, the phone things will be brought back on this next trip to her house. Hopefully I'll have pics in a few days so we can identify what they are.

IMG_5478.JPG

judy likes this.
  12. clutteredcloset49

Zurkos looks like a professional antique market with a lot of experienced dealers.

You might want to get your feet wet selling - by holding an estate sale at your house. Start with things that it won't matter if you mess up on. Like the regular household goods. This will give you some experience with the type of people you will be dealing with. How to price, and how to counter offers. You don't have to accept offers made unless you want to. Depends on how bad you want to get rid of things.

I suggest you start going around to some antique shops/malls. Start looking at what people are selling and at what prices they are asking. You want to familiarize yourself with things that people consider collectible. Make notes, take pictures, go home and check ebay for past sales. This will help you as you sort your MIL's house.

Start investigating and pricing the more collectible items, such as the Snoopy lamp. Putting those aside for the Zurkos market. Mark, pack and have it all ready to go when you are ready to try the antique market.

You're going to make mistakes, and that is ok. We all did it. But we started in areas that interested us. You are starting with a houseful of items you know nothing about.

There's another option for selling besides going to Zurkos.
    You could set up tables in your garage. Price things and invite dealers out one at a time to come to your house. They are going to want to pay about a third or less of what they will sell for in their space/store.
    Where as if you go to Zurkos, you would price for the public and ask higher prices.

I'm sure you have a Craigslist for some of the bigger items. Does your area have a facebook garage sale listing, where you can put an item on it to sell?

Just throwing out ideas to help you decide what is the best way to tackle all of this.
    Someone else may have other suggestions.

Angelina Dugo and judy like this.
  13. clutteredcloset49

You asked about taking the #54 off. I'd leave it. But if you really want to get if off.

Make a paste of Barkeeper's Friend. Found in the cleaning aisle near Comet and Ajax. Use an old scotch brite pad with the Barkeeper's paste, rub in a circular motion should come right off with no harm to the crock.

There's one listed like yours for $135. One sold for $50. Remember you can ask anything you want. What matters is what it sells for.

judy likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Magic eraser will also probably get that off.

judy likes this.
  15. Angelina Dugo

Angelina Dugo Member

I actually have some barkeepers friend here so. I'll try that for sure. Thank you! I wasn't so sure how much I should clean all of these things but it's sounding like I should clean most all of it.

I've tried out putting a few things on OfferUp out here. So far just had a guy come buy an antique oil carrier for his dad who collects gas station items etc. Anytime I deal with Craigslist I get so many scam emails it gets annoying but I'll try it for a few items and see.

That's a great idea having dealers come here. I didn't think of that. We've got 4 cars taking up all of our garage and driveway space so I think my only option may be clearing out my formal living room and setting up in there. Though it's only about a 14x14' space. I'll just baby gate it off. My thought was also to go to this market on the next coming weekend in May and see how it works and maybe get to know a few people and show them some pictures of some of the items that we have and see if they can put me in a good direction. Or I also thought of renting one of the small spaces in there and setting up a couple tables and just trying our luck with some of the stuff. I was going to run to Hobby Lobby and get some of those white price tag hanging labels and start pricing things in these boxes as I'm going through them.

judy likes this.
  16. komokwa

just make sure you meet folks in a safe place..with friends around..

judy likes this.
  17. clutteredcloset49

Don't put tape on cardboard items.
    Mark with a soft pencil - it can be erased without harming items.
    Tie tags on items that can be. People will pull and switch tags at shows. So a one or two word description will deter that somewhat. Sticky tags for glass and pottery.

Talking to people at shows, getting their input is probably a good idea. Just be wary of the person who downgrades your items and offers a low price. Ask people what they would mark items at, then ask about a third of the price.

judy likes this.
  18. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Grayslake is a nice market with a good following. If you plan to do it, make sure you know the value of what you are taking, price it just below market, and be willing to bargain a bit. You will be taken advantage of there if you don't know what you are doing. Many collectors and dealers will come through so it could be a place to meet people interested in what you have. You need to take enough stuff to make it worthwhile. Remember the rent impacts your profit and it is very unlikely that you will sell everything.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted