Before I paint this....

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by atxmama, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have pieces of furniture that have been improved with painting. This, however, is way too nice to paint. I could see if it was damaged or falling apart, but it's lovely as is.

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's more elaborate than most. Sure it isn't signed... back or bottom... inside somewhere?

4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

OTOH, paint can make a piece, check out these 2 chest of drawers, both made at about the same time, C. 1700 and in the same area, Hadley Mass. in the Connecticut river valley.
    Winterthur Collection
    1957.0054R.jpg
    This one lost it's paint somewhere along the way
    22896320_0.jpg
    22898799_0.jpg

5. James Conrad

I didn't notice till now but, the painted chest has the graduated drawers "backwards", IE the top drawer is larger with smaller drawers towards the bottom, exactly opposite of the stripped chest which is the "normal" way drawers are graduated.
    Other than that, these 2 chests are very similar form & could have been built in the same shop however, the painted chest looks like it's 300 years old and the stripped one looks like it could have been built yesterday!

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Is the painting on that first chest contemporary with its construction? Cuz that makes a difference as well.

Bronwen, James Conrad and Ghopper1924 like this.
  7. James Conrad

Yes, that was/is the original paint. Degraded/abraded a bit when they removed the overpaint. Colonial americans were into BRIGHT LOUD color in 1700 and, i can understand why after centuries of brown joined oak.
    Hadley Mass ( on connecticut river) had this peculiar compass designed painted decoration that was unique to that area.
    A couple rather famous examples to old furniture people

SW chest, it has some inpainting that is not original

18-or-22-Buck.jpg

Hannah Barnard Court Cupboard, Henry Ford Museum, restored
    01-Buck.jpg
    Unrestored/overpainted

04.BUCK.0714C.jpg

8. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

too pretty to paint..would be a shame

9. James Conrad

And yes, I am going after that stripped Hadley chest of drawers, it's ALL there except of course, it's painted decoration. :(
    First thing I'll do if i win it? That's RIGHT! hire a painter who knows what they are doing with a paint brush. :happy:
    The good news is, I know EXACTLY what design should be on that chest so will be easy to explain to painter. :joyful:
    My whole collecting world revolves around PAINT! always has been, always gonna be. It's inpainted, It's overpainted, It's stripped of paint! Paint was a VERY BIG deal in 1700 America when it came to furniture.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  10. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Atxmama- THANK YOU for asking! That showed wisdom and forethought. These may not be the answers you wanted to hear, but the truly devoted antique lovers here feel it is the right thing to do, in this case.

Christmasjoy and James Conrad like this.
  11. James Conrad

Agrees, if it wasn't for that relief carving I'd say paint it cuz i am a stone cold paint kinda guy but, that carving would look odd painted as it is the main decoration for OP piece.

12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Paint was big for people who couldn't afford expensive furniture. It's the reason people painted their floors in patterns. They couldn't afford rugs. Once you have a beautiful original piece, you don't want to treat it badly.

Bakersgma likes this.
  13. James Conrad

OTOH, Not even Thomas Dennis, America's most celebrated 17th century joiner, was immune to the paint fashion trend.
    I can hear him now......" If you think I am going to leave my relief carving & spindle decoration behind, YOU HAVE LOST YOUR MIND!"
    " If we HAVE to have paint, fine! Go ahead and slather on your paint but, my relief carving & spindle decoration is staying and, THAT'S THAT!"

Thomas Dennis chest, dated 1676

thomas dennis.jpg

TD2.jpg
    Chest of drawers, dated 1678
    click to enlarge

TDR.jpg

1957.0541 Chest of drawers.jpg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  14. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

No paint. Wood has character -paint doesn't. I have had to strip to many pieces over the years. I never paint.

15. lovewrens

lovewrens Well-Known Member

Beautiful! I wouldn't do anything to it.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  16. Barbara W. Preston

Barbara W. Preston Active Member

I cannot imagine why you would want to paint this beautiful piece. Painted it would get paint chips on the edges, scratches on the top, finger nail marks around the pulls and handles; and then, what would you have? A piece that you would be ready to discard or have to paint again. As it is,you might get some wear as mentioned above, but those can be easily cleaned up and you will still have a beautiful piece.
    If it doesn't seem to blend in with your decor, put a table scarf in colors that fir your decor, a vase and flowers that bring in the decor color, and/or pieces of collectible glass or porcelain figurines on the top. With that mirror your decor colors will flow through out the room or area. I've even see people open a drawer a little way and then let a corner of fabric or a quilt that fits your decor hand out. There are so many ways you can make that wonderful piece fit into your decor without painting it and ruining it forever!
    Barbara

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted