Arts & Crafts Vase ID'ed after 30 years !

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by bosko69, Dec 25, 2023.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

@verybrad - Can you suggest where I might buy quality patination supplies ?

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I bought mine long ago when we had the furniture factory from a wholesale industrial supply company. Not readily available to retail buyers as far as I know. There used to be a company that sold diluted solutions in small quantities along with their line of reproduction Victorian brass hardware. Let me see what I can find.

Edit: Found this on Amazon.

Amazon.com: BRASS AGER 8oz. (Ounce) Darkening Solution Antique Vintage Old Metal Patina Copper tin Bronze Dull : Tools & Home Improvement

Disclaimer: I have not used this product but it seems to have some good reviews. Based on personal experience, the best results are acheived when the item is thoroughly cleaned first. I have a stong base product I use for this. Sodium hydroxide (lye) would probably work. Otherwise, cleaning with hydrochloric acid should also work. Caution! Do not use the two together. Item needs to be thoroughly rinsed before patination. You might want to experiment a bit before trying on something really good.

The product I use is quite strong and I find that I need to remove the item and rinse it before I think it is ready. It continues to darken with exposure to light afterwards and it is easy to get it too dark. I don't know if it would be the same with this product. I also find that the more I rub the item with my fingers, the more complex and pleasing the patina becomes. I guess this would be similar to an item being handled over time.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
    wlwhittier likes this.
  3. bosko69

Excellent-Thanks Brad for the tip. I'd forgotten you used to make furniture-you're a Renaissance entrepreneur !
    PS-Some people have a talent for being self-employed,some not.I wish our friends here trying to feed themselves solely off Ebay abundant good luck.

verybrad likes this.
  4. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

That'd be pretty slim fare, at least in my experience.
    It's not the money, oh dear, no...it's the free shelf (an' floor, etc) space that sloooly accrues to the perseverant in that theater. Get up every day an' take another swing at the ball.

verybrad likes this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Here is a copper plate I re-patinated a couple years ago. Sorry for the crummy picture through glass but could not get access to open the cabinet right now.

copper.jpg

6. bosko69

The new patina you added looks authentically vintage to me,it's got that nice red chocolate color.I like that 'Iron Fireman' ashtray too-who doesn't get a kick out of vintage advertising mascots ?

verybrad likes this.