Featured Art nouveau block mosaic crucifix plaque

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by F&C, Jul 24, 2021.

1. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Colorways of individual sections in the OP's collage and the etsy one are very different.

OPs.jpg etsy.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They don't look to be of the same quality, frankly. I wonder...

Debora

Bronwen likes this.
  3. F&C

F&C Well-Known Member

Maybe because one of them is framed possibly

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Giovanni may have been considered an artist, but I have difficulty seeing this particular piece as anything more than decor. I can recognize half of the panels as being taken from the work of others & there is no reason to think the other half do not also have other sources. This is just a hodgepodge, various images of Hercules & other mythological themes mixed in with art nouveau designs, no rhyme or reason. It looks a bit classier in all metallic tones instead of blue, red, green & brown.

BoudiccaJones and Debora like this.
  5. Bronwen

Boland, komokwa and wiscbirddog like this.
  6. F&C

F&C Well-Known Member

Similar idea possibly a copy, I don't think it looks as good with each piece having its own little frame.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. wiscbirddog

Cropped from OP's photo. Note damage in lower right corner. . .don't know what broken resin would look like, but I think it looks like the way chalkware would break.

1a.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  8. wiscbirddog

Which piece looks to you like each piece is individually framed? I'm not seeing any frame except the single one in the piece from etsy.

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They're all enclosed in a panel or frame. Adds lots of negative space and detracts from visual interest.

Debora

Boland and Bronwen like this.
  10. wiscbirddog

Maybe I need new glasses, but all I'm seeing is a 'depth' created by a darker edge.

In the "saleroom" one Bronwen posted some of the edges over-lap each other. Like this one:

2.jpg

Boland and Bronwen like this.
  11. Bronwen

What surprises me about the Saleroom one is that it uses 2 tiles that are the same right next to each other. (Look just above 3 o'clock.)

wiscbirddog and Boland like this.
  12. wiscbirddog

13. F&C

F&C Well-Known Member

Suppose you could call it pop art. I'll make sure to have a closer look for that signature thanks

14. Bronwen

Draft saved Draft deleted