Featured Art Deco Wooden Box with Impressionist Carved Motifs

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by wlwhittier, May 5, 2024.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

This box is ~4 5/8" wide, ~3 3/4" deep, ~2 1/4" high; weight is ~5.2 oz.
    I got this in SoCal in the 70's. The exterior was seriously soiled, an' the interior only somewhat less so...it had cigarette debris inside, bits of cut tobacco. It responded well to a soap 'n' water treatment, with little loss of color or finish. The corners are mitered & splined, an' the 2 hinges are inserted into the chamfered edges, making a self-stopping (at 90 degrees open) cover. The interior finish looks to be a gloss enamel. The exterior is carved, especially the cover, an' pyrography contributes to the 'tiger-striping' where it isn't carved. The bottom is apparently just stained.
    I have looked for any similarly patterned wooden artifacts without success, an' thus am inclined to think it may be a one-off; decorated by someone with skill an' imagination, on a plain box...but that seems weak, somehow. I'll be grateful for your take on it, an' all comments an' suggestions. Thanks for lookin'!

P1410179.jpeg P1410180.jpeg P1410182.jpeg P1410181.jpeg P1410185.jpeg P1410186.jpeg P1410188.jpeg P1410191.jpeg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It looks like someone took an old woodburning kit and got creative.

3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Neat characterful little box. Looks like someone’s home or school project. Someone within obvious
    art flair. Box looks ‘border-line’ vintage to me.

wlwhittier, johnnycb09 and mirana like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think it is of the period, so Art Deco. I am not seeing anything Impressionist, it is all Art Deco imo.

mirana, Boland, wlwhittier and 2 others like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nice box. May well be OOAK. Agree with Art Deco designation.

mirana, Boland, wlwhittier and 2 others like this.
  6. wlwhittier

I really don't have a good idea of 'Impressionist'...but those flowers aren't 'Realist', so I winged it!
    I'll go look at the word an' its true meaning. Sorry for the confusion.

Boland and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

These are Impressionist flowers, by Renoir:

A renoir.jpeg

8. wlwhittier

To live is to learn, particularly here...
    Here's Wikipedia on the subject...I was pretty far off!

Impressionism was a 19th-century art movement characterized by relatively small, thin, yet visible brush strokes, open composition, emphasis on accurate depiction of light in its changing qualities (often accentuating the effects of the passage of time), ordinary subject matter, unusual visual angles, and inclusion of movement as a crucial element of human perception and experience.

mirana and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Art Deco flowers. Flat and geometric. Like those on your box.

Debora

f8d50bbf35a68162365ecd0ab51734e9.jpg

wlwhittier, mirana and Potteryplease like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted