Anyone ever seen a square, handmade(?) guitar?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jun 17, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

2. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

And, exploring my basement some more reveals that I only assembled one of the two thumb piano kits; and the other box still contains the company catalog; they also sold assembled instruments and made kits for balalaikas and harps, under the name Hughes Dulcimer Company. My 12-string guitar kit cost $18.
    Founded by Virgil and Norman Hughes in 1966, and refounded 10 years ago, and apparently still in existence.

3. journeymagazine

Body
    16.5" tall
    8.5" wide at top
    11.25" wide at bottom
    4.25" deep !!!!!!!!!!!!

4. all_fakes

5. journeymagazine

Thank you all_fakes!
    THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS SITE!!

Houseful and all_fakes like this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Acetone (finger nail polish remover) will probably damage the finish on the wood, and leave you with a bleached spot. So it is just as well you didn't have any.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd have tried plain old rubbing alcohol. Hand gel dissolves sharpie just fine; I've gotten it all over my hands that way by accident at least once.

I think his was a solid body electric or electrified.

8. all_fakes

Measurements sure match up, don't they! That's a Hughes kit guitar!
    Bo Diddley built his first rectangular guitar himself, but later, had them professionally made by the Gretsch Company. All his life, he loved odd-shaped guitars. I think that's his favorite Gretsch, "The Twang Machine" on the right.

Bo.jpg

Potteryplease and Pattywithay like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They still make them, and they're not cheap.

all_fakes likes this.
  10. journeymagazine

It came out OK, but thanks 2manybooks - new photos

MUSIC GUITAR WOOD SQUARE HANDMASE 1AA.JPG MUSIC GUITAR WOOD SQUARE HANDMASE 3A_AA.JPG MUSIC GUITAR WOOD SQUARE HANDMASE 3A_AAA.JPG MUSIC GUITAR WOOD SQUARE HANDMASE 4AA.JPG MUSIC GUITAR WOOD SQUARE HANDMASE 4AAA.JPG MUSIC GUITAR WOOD SQUARE HANDMASE 4BAA.JPG

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted