Anybody know about this giant mirror

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Karld, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Karld

Karld Active Member

Thanks i had to try it looks anazing under there lots of petina or wear lol i think i need a restorer ! But if it was oil or water based the wipes would lift gold so what have i got

2. Karld

Karld Active Member

3. Karld

Karld Active Member

4. Karld

Karld Active Member

5. Karld

Karld Active Member

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you have a really nice mirror ,,,,that's coming back to life !!
    I'm just not seeing a lot of age......which would be consistent with someone deciding to paint the gold over !!

judy likes this.
  7. Karld

Karld Active Member

So you think the gold was painted on and not gilded on how can i test it i read water or oil gild will disappear with a wet cloth but nothing lifts the gold off this only your fingernail so what is the gold ....

judy likes this.
  8. Karld

Karld Active Member

If solvents and white spirits dont lift the gold what does that mean ?

judy likes this.
  9. Karld

Karld Active Member

Do you think 1950s or 60 ?

judy likes this.
  10. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

The darker area is most likely bronze powdered paint, however, it could also be metal leaf. Metal leaf will tarnish and get dark if it is not sealed properly.

judy likes this.
  11. Karld

Karld Active Member

Cool ww will get to the bottom of it in the end heres more pics rps20170916_182657.jpg

12. Karld

Karld Active Member

So gilding experts what are we dealing with here i see gilt mirrors online all restored what do i have here water ? Oil ? 23k ? Lots of parts are shiney shiney

judy likes this.
  13. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

It is very difficult to tell from your photographs. The very shiny could be gold or it could be paint/mica power. Is that wood under the gold? If the wood is showing up that quickly, it isn't water gilded.

You should bring it to a restorer and find out what it is before you go any further. They should be able to tell you what you have, real gold or not and how much it would be to restore.

komokwa likes this.
  14. Karld

Karld Active Member

Yes on the inside oval piece its dark guilding then on an inner piece its just wood no gild but i have put it away and called a restorer ! I did test a side piece before i wiped it and nothing seems to lift the gold what does that mean is it metal gild ...

judy likes this.
  15. Karld

Karld Active Member

The top crown piece and 4 posts are very shiny il upload better pics if i can tomorrow too

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted