Anybody know about this giant mirror

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Karld, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I do think the frame is older - manufactured more recently and the mirror would have been a single piece and the interior parts of the fame would have been laid on the mirror.

The different coloured piece was probably a replacement. Probably when the backboard was replaced as well.

2. Karld

Karld Active Member

Do you think its gilted under the paint i just cant find a double oval anywhere

3. Karld

Karld Active Member

4. Karld

Karld Active Member

Yes the mirrors definately seperate pieces with wood pieces in between

5. Karld

Karld Active Member

Im thinking of how to get the paint off and identify whats underneath any ideas

6. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Can you get a close-up of the outside edge on the back. That white could be paint or it could be gesso (not acrylic) that supports the gilders clay/rouge. I can't tell from you photographs.

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think the whole thing pretty new. Stripping the paint with paint stripper is probably the only way you will get it off. This may remove gilding and/or eat into any gesso decoration. Quite frankly, this would probably sell better the way it is now. The shabby decorating trend is still quite strong. If you want it for yourself, your best bet may be to re-paint with gold paint or re-gild over the existing paint. Better yet, sell this one and buy one better to your liking.

bluumz, James Conrad and antidiem like this.
  8. Karld

Karld Active Member

Im just stubborn to find out what frame it is when it was made and why i cant find any anywhere else thanks though

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Not being able to find an item on line...is never a good thing.
    Things of value that are known are usually well represented with photo's and comments....
    there are always exceptions ....but as a rule....if one can't find a similar item.....it's either a one off , or few if any have ever been posted on line.

10. Karld

Karld Active Member

Yes its definately something i cant find anywhere id love to date it all the same or as other gy said he managed to remove his paint and save it .. yes pics of back on way thanks all i love any info

11. Karld

Karld Active Member

12. Karld

Karld Active Member

13. Karld

Karld Active Member

14. Mill Cove Treasures

I do not think that is water gilding. It may have been oil gilded or it was painted. Most of the time, on older or vintage frames, the paint was bronze paint and it gets darker with age.

I just pulled out some sample practice boards from when took a gilding class and did my own gilding. I restored old frames. All of these are for water gilding.

The two boards on the right are sample boards used to test the clay/rouge and the gold. Six to eight layers of gesso have to be applied and then sanded before the red clay can be applied. Gesso is made from rabbit skin glue and whiting. The clay gets three layers and then sanded. Then the size is applied before the gold can be applied. Water gilding can be burnished to a high gloss like the small frame in the center. Oil gilding and paint can't be burnished. Water gilding is a very labor intensive, time consuming process and expensive process.

P1300915ps1rs.jpg

This is why I asked to see the edges. Here are the edges that show the gesso, the clay and the gold. P1300917psrs.jpg P1300918psrs.jpg
    This is the edge of the sample board with just layers of gesso that has been sanded. No clay, no gold. The white is the actual thickness of the gesso. You won't see that thick layer of gesso on oil gilding or bronze painted frames.

P1300924psrs.jpg

I have some books and notes about which products to use for stripping. If it is water gilded, you can't use anything that has a water base because you will soften the rabbit skin glue under the gold. I will try to post later tonight with the notes but I may not have time to get to them today.

cxgirl, komokwa, judy and 2 others like this.
  15. Karld

Karld Active Member

Thats very good info thanks so maybe oil gilded? Id love to take the cream paint away and see what story it tells there is defo rose coloured red and gold bits coming through all over it .. thanks for your reply great if you can get to it anytime thanks so much

komokwa and judy like this.
  16. Karld

Karld Active Member

17. Karld

Karld Active Member

Baby wiped it couldnt wait the paint came straight off and lovelllllllly gold underneath tell me more

judy likes this.
  18. Karld

Karld Active Member

Ok i stopped its hard work so how do i tell now whats safe to use i cant believe its gilted how old do you think and is it a louis style double oval maybe

19. Mill Cove Treasures

My chauffeur duties were cut in half so I may have time tonight.

STOP using the baby wipes!!! If I can't find my notes & books, one rule to remember is, always use the "nasty" strippers and not the environmental friendly water based strippers. Anything chemical, mineral based will not soften the rabbit skin glue. Baby wipes may be great for skin but not for this. Once the glue becomes soft, you will dent or move the underlying base and it could cause cracking too.

Oil gilding may have gesso but not as thick. Most gilding processes use some form of clay and it isn't always red. It could be yellow or black.

komokwa and James Conrad like this.
  20. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

After a look at the wood beneath the backing, I don't think it's anywhere near "antique" but probably 1960-1980. I would call this style, "Hollywood Regency" and it's always been very popular. I just don't see enough natural age on the wood to think it could be older, despite the fact that it was covered and therefore somewhat protected from aging.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted