Anybody know about this giant mirror

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Karld, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Karld

Karld Active Member

2. Karld

Karld Active Member

3. Karld

Karld Active Member

Theres visible gold underneath me thinks

4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I think I am seeing red sizing, which is what wood was treated with before it was gilded, so there should be traces of gold as well.

judy, Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Oh the horror ! WHY ?!?

Aquitaine, AJefferson, judy and 2 others like this.
  6. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

If you can get a photo of the back that would help with age. A close-up of the edge on the back may help determine if it was water or oil gilded and, if it is gilded with real gold or metal leaf. I seriously doubt you can save the gilding if you strip the paint. If you want to try, what you need to use, will depend on the gilding technique.

yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  7. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

THAT is gorgeous!

So what is it, gilt brass? Or wood covered in gold paint?

judy likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

gotta be wood...imho...

judy likes this.
  9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Could it be molded syrocca (oh I cannot remember that term at the moment) or some other molded material that size? That's a huge piece! I think Mansons is right about the red sizing.

There is an interesting "side bauble" - is that what I am seeing? Is that a repair to the glass of some sort? Or maybe to cover up a ding? Is it a piece of leaded glass? I cannot really see it well enough.

judy likes this.
  10. Karld

Karld Active Member

Hi no repairs and im a total novice but looks like double glazed glass top is normal smooth but inner piece looks natural cracks i thought someone painted it cream with gold tint im so stupid its the gold coming through but il upload better pics in 2 hours hope u guys can help

antidiem, yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  11. Karld

Karld Active Member

Il get pics up today and lets get to the bottom of it so how should i remove the worn paint safely

12. opoe

opoe Well-Known Member

Quelle horreur! mon dieu! A crime against good taste to paint this beautiful french mirror...

13. Karld

Karld Active Member

I know i got it from a lady i think she painted it lots of people are shabby painting things i plan on putting more pics up and finding out what this is

14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I found a wonderful Federal mirror that someone had painted with aluminium radiator paint. Several coats. It took a lot of hours but I removed the paint and the gilding was still there except a few areas. To me it was worth the work.
    greg

15. Karld

Karld Active Member

Thats all i need a small push and il powehose that off haha how can i remove the paint ..this style i can only find 1 of .....new pics in 30

16. Karld

Karld Active Member

New pics looks like a piece nailed on the back rps20170915_163356.jpg

17. Karld

Karld Active Member

18. Karld

Karld Active Member

19. Karld

Karld Active Member

Took the back off which was just chipboard and the mirror glass is stamped 2011 so old mirror new glass ? rps20170915_164639.jpg rps20170915_164659.jpg

20. Karld

Karld Active Member

1 pane is a different colour at the back rps20170915_164734.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted