Any of these boxes antique?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by shamster, Aug 12, 2024.

1. shamster

shamster Well-Known Member

Nah the specimen box is now married to another in my possession and officially forming a collection :smug:

I’m not interested in card cases initially as they won’t house my jewelry, but I might get some since they’ll look great with my MOP boxes;)

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  2. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

Sorry the site was down for a while and it's the summer hols. Ok the The abalone box looks old ie around 1820-1850? I would need to see if that's ivory but if it is then thats the date I would put on it. As for the other geometric design box that could be any time before 1940 but I suspect late Victorian, (please don't touch that green paper inside the box and eat food without washing your hands) I think it may also have woodworm so keep it away from other wooden pieces, if you tap it and sawdust comes out then it still has live worm. The other box I don't really know as I can't see much of it but I don't think it's anything special, looks to have a recent-ish clasp.

3. shamster

Thank you as always!

For the abalone one, I checked under the loupe and found no crossing lines for ivory, and some very thin parallel lines. It is very smooth. And I am indeed surprised with your guess, as I've never seen any box like this one and cannot find one online:wideyed: and now it could even be georgian!

For the specimen one, I agree with you, the pattern reminds me of some georgian design but this one is surely later. And I'm now really afraid of touching it :nailbiting: I'll see if I could kill them without getting it out to see it on my table.

And for the last one, yes I think so, and guess it will go to charity shop soon!

Any Jewelry and 808 raver like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If it's old that green paper might have poison in it. Arsenic. Put it in a plastic bag in the freezer for a while. to help kill any woodworms.

Any Jewelry, 808 raver and shamster like this.
  5. shamster

Thank you:happy: I'll do it now!

Any Jewelry and 808 raver like this.
  6. 808 raver

I think the green paper could be made with arsenic, The cross hatching on ivory isn't always present and faint lines will also indicate ivory, the only real way to tell is with a hot pin but don't as I'm sure it is. I suspect it's late regency early Victorian, it's a nice box, I suspect the missing push clasp was also made from ivory, I have one on a box just like it and that's made of ivory. As for the worm, I wouldn't be worried, they are everywhere in woods and don't pose a threat just you don't want them munching through all your collection lol I sure it's historic and someone has added the marbled paper to the bottom to hide the holes.

Any Jewelry and shamster like this.
  7. shamster

Thank you:joyful: there's no push clasp on sale online, and I might just fit some bead there as for decoration

8. shamster

I took a picture of all four. If it’s super smooth then it’s ivory? a85d8c608aaf1fdad0006e9cb3d12c5d.jpeg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. evelyb30

The purple lining is ivory. THe plain wood looks like celluloid. Not 100% sure of the blue.

shamster likes this.
  10. shamster

I think you’re right about celluloid, since it has a strange shine that no others have. And if the purple velvet one is ivory, these feet on its bottom can also be ivory I guess? 4167cce9646ce61f50dc4236a4db7e9d.jpeg

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto.
    Could you post a side view please?

shamster likes this.
  12. shamster

IMG_6470.jpeg
    sure:happy:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

The feet could be bone, but let's wait for someone with better eyesight.:watching::)

shamster likes this.
  14. 808 raver

It could be bone or dirt on ivory, I don't think it really matters in this circumstances, older boxes will use natural material whereas later boxes will use plastic and in this case it''s clearly natural material. There is only one way of really telling and that's using a hot pin, if you can do it where it''s not going to show then it's ok but if it's plastic it will leave a sunken black mark.

shamster likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

:nailbiting:
    A hot pin will damage an item unnecessarily, and it is tricky with celluloid, which is highly flammable.

Another way to test it is UV light, although some plastics also fluoresce, depending on the colourants used.

shamster, BoudiccaJones and komokwa like this.
  16. evelyb30

Hot pins... best used under the fingernails of those who suggest their use. Can you tell I don't like hot pin tests?

17. 808 raver

I've used the hot pin test many times, only once was it celluloid and I couldn't believe it went in, it was on this chair from the 1890's 112.jpg

18. evelyb30

Hot pins....not even going there. As long as the chair didn't start burning, you got away with one there.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

I suppose you could be forgiven for using a hot pin on Savonarola.:angelic::playful:

If I find hot pin marks on an item I paid for, it goes straight back to the seller. It is deliberate damage.

808 raver likes this.
  20. shamster

I don’t actually mind what they are! I actually hope they are not ivory tho, as ivory could brings me trouble when in custom :dead:

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted