Any movie poster fans here?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Tiquer, Mar 2, 2024.

1. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Sometimes a movie title is completely changed for distribution in another country. In those cases, it's not a translation, it's a whole different title that somebody thought would resonate better with people who live there.

2. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

C'era una volta il West
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    Il Etait un Fois à l'Ouest
    Het Gebeurde in het Westen

And then Germany:
    Spiel mir das Lied vom Tod
    :rolleyes:
    But it's a good excuse for me to add another version of the soundtrack to my record collection :D

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

For those members who don't know German (you know who you are:shifty::playful:), 'Spiel mir das Lied vom Tod' means 'Play the Song of Death for Me'.

sabre123, charlie cheswick and Marote like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm currently making my way through Vlamse Velden. It has subtitles in English but being a WWI story and the actors speaking their lines in Dutch, Flemish and German, it can get confusing.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

That can get worse when you are watching an English/American movie/series/etc. in another country, where they often place their subtitles on top of the English subtitles, making both illegible. The History Channel is "great" at doing this. :rolleyes:

I actually like it when movies are accurate with the languages used (and funny, but sometimes also annoying, when it's clearly not a native speaker). Much better than hearing actors speak English when they pretend to be Germans or Russians etc., while the occasional commands or curse words are in the other language.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. TT Antique

TT Antique Well-Known Member

I picked the other day a commemorative print by Walt Disney for their 1930's animated film " snow white and the 7 dwarfs". Probably it is from the early nineties. But quite nice though not original or vintage.
    Finding or picking vintage posters( film or otherwise) at a bargain price is quite hard, though they are available from dealers with a higher price tag.
    Personally I am fascinated by vintage art deco posters in general and hope to get some in the future.

P.s. it is not within the topic, but I have come across several sites who sell digital reproductions of these vintage posters( also some ebay listings) that create deliberate fuzzy descriptions ... For instance the way they use the word "original" (though they dont claim having an original piece, and may be using the term somehow to say they offer prints of the original poster) gives a wrong impression to the non suspecting . Also they tend to leave out the term "reproduction", though they refer "prints" expecting you to read between the lines... quite misleading to non suspecting folks ...they are clear "legally" speaking as they are just playing with words.Hence it is "caveat emptor" at the end of the day.

TTA
    20240228_181116.jpg

Figtree3 and Marote like this.
  7. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

Great poster! And yeah, there are alot of shady ppl out there anymore.

Marote likes this.
  8. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

We might get a chance to meet John Carpenter in PA in April. I have a Spanish movie poster for The Fog that I will have him sign if I can. I've been tempted to buy a US one but I have no self control and am trying to apply some.

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

i think i saw that, wasnt it a 1950s bette davis flick :playful::playful::playful:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

self control is not in our lexicon ....:playful::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

Tiquer and Marote like this.
  11. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

Here's a "lobby card" I got last year for a movie called GREEN HELL (1940): 20240307_180308.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    charlie cheswick and komokwa like this.
  12. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

Here's one from the 1955 film WAGES OF FEAR: 20240307_180811.jpg

charlie cheswick likes this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I like the disclaimer.......:jawdrop:

Marote and charlie cheswick like this.
  14. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think someone, uh, "forgot" :)

komokwa and Marote like this.
  15. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

Another I have from West of Zanzibar 20240309_124121.jpg

Marote and komokwa like this.
  16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Suddenly occurs to me that I do have posters of the Ralph Bakshi "Lord of the Rings" movie, 1978:

00000aaaa-a.jpg

00000aaaaEquestrian Portrait of Archduke Leopold Wilhelm of Austria.jpg

00000aaaa.jpg

mirana, Marote, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  17. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

I have the fotonovel (with skewed print on the left side pages)

Any Jewelry and moreotherstuff like this.
  18. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

Well I have one on the way that is making me feel like a 5 yr old while waiting for it! I will share when it arrives, but will share now that it's almost 30 years old (can't believe it, to be honest). Stay tuned!

komokwa likes this.
  19. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

Thought you guys might appreciate these updates:

1. I have a vintage poster from the Golden Voyage of Sinbad on the way in the mail. If I ever get the chance I want Tom Baker to sign it. He was great in this movie, and, the best Dr. Who ever!!

2. I'm counting down to having John Carpenter sign my original The Fog poster in April! I've seen he's not overly friendly, so I'm prepared for that going in.

komokwa likes this.
  20. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

And this one is now here! It's an original, unopened, Titanic 5'x8' banner!!!

moreotherstuff and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted