Featured Any Button Collectors Here - Mini Buttons

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by cxgirl, Feb 15, 2018.

1. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

They were most likely all intended to be used on women's clothing - the bees look like metal-coated plastic novelty buttons, probably mid 20th century; the stamped brass horseshoe motif buttons would date from roughly the last third of the 19th century, though they might date a decade or so into the 20th, both appear to have celluloid inserts; the little MOP acorns, which would date about the same as the horseshoes, are the most interesting to my eye, 'Paris-backs' are a collecting category on their own...

~Cheryl

komokwa, cxgirl and kristiaan like this.
  2. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I framed these buttons for my Mom years ago:

swanbuttons-1.jpg

swanbuttons-2.jpg

swanbuttons-3.jpg

~Cheryl

Bronwen, SBSVC, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  3. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

Love them framed too
    [​IMG]

SBSVC and komokwa like this.
  4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies folks:)
    very nice collection of buttons kristiaan! I've never seen button dies before, I probably wouldn't know one if I did see one.
    I thought they were metal but I'm sure you are correct with them being metal covered plastic! I can see little bits of paint on one of them so they must have been painted at one time.
    Lovely examples of framed buttons! I'm supposed to be clearing stuff out but they look so nice on display in a frame!

komokwa, pearlsnblume and kristiaan like this.
  5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Nice. I got my mother's jars and boxes of buttons and sold a few of the more expensive ones, but kept a lot of them. The Victorian ones are so elegant with flowers and scenery.

6. kristiaan

I up-dated my collection. Not there yet but it all ready gives a good idea.
    No theme, except that my buttons are uniform buttons. But not necessarily military.
    Even a teacher had a uniform over here back in those days (19 th century!).
    Major part however is military, all nations. Also much marine buttons.
    I store them in small printing company cabinets, with slightly modified draws.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cxgirl, komokwa, Bakersgma and 4 others like this.
  7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very nice!

cxgirl and kristiaan like this.
  8. kristiaan

Thank you.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I had not looked in on this thread after a certain point. Love that mom had a collection of swan-themed buttons & especially like the two Swan Knight/Lohengrin ones. Needs a Leda or two. :)

pearlsnblume likes this.
  10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

wow, that is quite the collection kristiaan:) great idea using the printing cabinets for storage

Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. kristiaan

Thank you.
    I managed to get quiet some.
    But when you know that there must be nearly, or maybe even over, a million different brass embossed uniform buttons, that have been made worldwide during the 19th and greatest part of the 20 th century.
    ...I am not there, yet... (lol!)
    Yesterday I was talking to a Spanish guy, and noticed I have only 4 Spanish buttons.

12. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Kristiann, that's what I call organization! You have an amazing collection there. Well done!

13. kristiaan

Draft saved Draft deleted