Featured Any Beatles fans/record collectors here? Found mint cond. Beatles records including Butcher album?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Nov 24, 2022.

1. JohnnyB

JohnnyB New Member

I would not assume it was a butcher cover under the paste over. Some of the album issues "post butcher" used paste over covers as well with nothing underneath but cardboard. Typically where the gold record stamp is on the cover, you would see the outline of the "v" of Ringo's butcher black turtleneck barely discernable underneath. To my knowledge, none of the covers that have the gold record stamp are Butcher covers. Nice find though, great album!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
  2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Never heard of the "Butcher" album. I think I've mentioned before that I have a Sgt. Pepper's from when it was issued back in 60s. I was a kid. My brother and I were gifted LPs from our cousin. One was Sgt. Pepper's and the others was the Electric Prunes. I got first choice. ;) The other is my Abbey Road also bought when it came out. Actually, "I" don't have them anymore, my son does. He probably appreciates them more than I do, LOL! But I am a Beatles fan because I grew up in the 60s and they were IT.

moreotherstuff and cxgirl like this.
  3. JohnnyB

JohnnyB New Member

I have memories of my older sisters dancing to the Beatles when I was a wee lad. My dad nicknamed my oldest sister Gloria "go-go" because of the crazy boots they wore.. lol

kentworld likes this.
  4. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I'm not assuming (why I asked here) - just hoping! There is a a dark square under the paste over so it's something; not just a blank white cover.
    I'm waiting for approval to join a Beatles forum to ask but I probably need to find a record store or someone to look at it.
    I've attached a few pics that I think show the dark under the pasted label (in 2nd photo you can see it run through the C in Capitol and going straight down under it)- what do you think it is?

ALBUM 45 RPM A GROUP 1AA BEATKES BUTCHER ALBUM 1AA.jpg ALBUM 45 RPM A GROUP 1AA BEATKES BUTCHER ALBUM 2AA.jpg

5. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Here is what a paste over of the butcher cover looks like. Note the sloppy paste over at the top, and the clearly visible dark triangle of Ringo's neck area underneath the plain white.
    upload_2022-11-29_15-48-54.png

kentworld, JohnnyB and moreotherstuff like this.
  6. JohnnyB

JohnnyB New Member

That's exactly what I was talking about. Again, great album but, that gold record award logo on the cover is a dead giveaway that it's a later issue. If I recall, ALL of the butcher covers were the first run, and limited in release, up to the point that capitol records pulled the ones that hadn't sold yet, and did the paste over debacle.

7. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Did they put paste overs with the Gold record award? Because if it's not a butcher cover up IT IS a paste over (I can feel the edge with my fingernail) and even a paste over over nothing has to be an error & worth more as a collectible, right?

8. JohnnyB

JohnnyB New Member

It was pretty common in the USA for paste over covers there are quite a few examples esp. with Capitol releases (not just the Beatles). One of the reasons UK and German releases of those great 60's albums (besides the Beatles UK pressings varied quite a bit that their USA release counterparts oftentimes the mixes of the original UK pressings were from the master recordings/tapes and the US pressings were from copies of the master, which is why original UK pressings command a higher price for similar conditioned LP's But I digress..) the covers were glossy, and a fold over, much preferred to the standard USA mass produced dull covers, including the cheaply made paste overs to put on mass produced blank cardboard sleeves that could have any labels they wanted on them. whew I'm outta breath!

9. JohnnyB

JohnnyB New Member

Also, as an aside, only 750,000 were ever released with the original butcher cover (1st state) most of which were called back to Capitol for the paste over (2nd state).. In 30 years of buying and selling records on and off here in New England, I've only had 3 of these pass through my hands. they are only getting scarcer. Also, unfortunately, there are no butcher covers under any of the gold record award releases, they were re-issues by that point.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted