Featured Antique jewellery collectors: do you wear your collection?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by shamster, Oct 24, 2024 at 3:23 AM.

1. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

When my parents passed away my sister was left a lot of my mother's jewelry. A lot was gold and precious stones. At the time she worked in a high school as their IT person. She wore the jewelry every day, gold, diamonds, rubies, sapphires. Everyone thought is was costume and she didn't say a thing :rolleyes:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

depends on what you paid for it.......... bold bars or coins are a better backup!

Dessert58 and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

When I wear my gaudiest pieces I do try not to flaunt them in public spaces, but tell myself that if someone on the lookout for something to grab did see them, he would think they were fake.

Dessert58 and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

I love to wear my antique jewelry! I have a bit of a thing for rings, I have too many but they are my favorite antique jewelry to wear. I also have lots of Czech glass necklaces which are something that I don't feel like I need to worry too much about, as long as the silk thread doesn't look too fragile (even better if they're on chain)! My other love is bug brooches, mostly costume. I work in a corporate environment so I just accessorize the hell outta my workwear :hilarious:

johnnycb09 likes this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I wear too much jewelry but I blame my Cuban blood . Its a thing amongst my peoples ! I started wearing brooches in the 80s and still do. Though I bitterly regret selling the bulk of my brooch collection in the late 90s,but needs dictate. I dont know if yall remember that fire opal ring I had,but I wore it too much and broke the stone. If my jewelry is antique I will be more careful in the future. Ive been trying to get a gorgeous ruby ring my best friend inherited from his mother. Id guess its Victorian and that ruby is a good 2 carats. Alas,he wont give it up though I could wear it . Some people are just SO selfish ! :)

Elen Beattie likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I don't own a lot of really antique pieces, but do wear a lot of the 60s and 70s costume, and even older pins if the clasps are secure. One I do wear is a pre-WWII railroad switch key, on a 60s chain that looks like padlocks. No stones in that! The old family jewerly is mostly in my sister's safety deposit box.

For old stones in the USA, rhinestones anyway, joolies use E6000 hypocement. It dries clear. Not sure what I'd use on a real one.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  7. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

I have no idea how many pieces of jewelry I own, but my husband and kids say its plenty.
    I couldn't possibly wear them all, but I do wear nice old flemish jewels/gold/georgian whenever I feel like wearing it.
    I used to be scared to wear the valuable things out and about, but a good friend once told me: 'nobody knows if its real. People just assume it must be fake'
    So I started wearing what I like.
    If something breaks, I get it fixed by a jeweler.
    Collecting old jewelry implies you have to take care of it, and its not new so things will break sometimes.
    Last year I had an old, delicate flemish brooch pinned to my winter coat during Autumn and Winter, and the poor thing survived heavy rain and storms (would not recommend that maybe...those close back foiled diamond are not meant to get soaked) :rolleyes:

johnnycb09 and Elen Beattie like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted