Antique dresser or Server Maybe?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by FWIW, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The back of my cupboard is almost as rough as this is - they simply didn't bother doing fancy when it stood against a wall.

The lock? Clothes had real value, servants could be light fingered. FAR too big for tea - that was in locked and very decorative caddies.

I don't know the US market for brown, but this would be not a lot more than $150 here. Sadly.

2. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

I am curious how online appraisers work so I am just going to purchase one and see what they come up with just for the knowledge even if its only worth $150. Id prob keep it at the price.

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It would probably do better over here, as we just don't have many this old. I am thinking the whole bottom skirt/base is an older addition given the deterioration we see on the underside. This will affect value, as will the one mismatched knob. Given the above, I doubt it would be more than $250.00 here. Values are really down for such furniture. You might do best to keep it, look for a matched pair of similar knobs for the top two drawers, and wait to sell or pass down in the family.

4. Ownedbybear

Brad, my cupboard has the same shaped skirt base, but taller, which is why I agree cut down.

5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My mother would have called it a "wardrobe." My father had one. That may not be the correct term, but that's what she called it.

6. Ownedbybear

Chest of drawers here.

7. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

Lowboy chest, but the ones like this that have a side door get called "gentleman's chest" as well here, but they are usually a bit taller.

Honestly haven't seen anything that resembles this so that gives a lot of cred to the theory that it was chopped down some. Too narrow for sideboard, to low for a gentleman's chest, too narrow for a dresser. But as you can tell, my knowledge on antiques is limited to say the least.

I purchased a valuation on it yesterday to see if they could tell me more about it. Never used a service like that so not sure how in depth they go. I don't expect a book on it since it was only $15, but from what you guys have shared, what I've researched on my own, and what the report may say, hopefully I have learned a lot here. The Hepplewhite story was pretty interesting.

8. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

I will of course share on this thread what the valuation says if anyone is interested in seeing it. Hopefully I hear from them tomorrow.

9. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

Guarantee line
    A Federal/George III style mahogany and satinwood banded cabinet, probably English.

Description
    Inlaid with stringing, the moulded top above two short drawers and four long drawers, flanked by a panel door, on a shaped plinth base.

Date
    1900s

Height
    32.5inches

Depth
    16.5inches

Length
    36.5inches

Weight
    61inches

Extra Notes
    A good quality item which is late 19th century and in the late 18th century style. It has clean lines and is useful but is less commercial than it was 15-25 years ago.
    Guarantee line
    A Federal/George III style mahogany and satinwood banded cabinet, probably English.

Description
    Inlaid with stringing, the moulded top above two short drawers and four long drawers, flanked by a panel door, on a shaped plinth base.

Date
    1900s

Height
    32.5inches

Depth
    16.5inches

Length
    36.5inches

Weight
    61inches

Extra Notes
    A good quality item which is late 19th century and in the late 18th century style. It has clean lines and is useful but is less commercial than it was 15-25 years ago.

10. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

That sound about right?

11. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

Oh and like everyone thought $250 to $350 valued

12. Ownedbybear

I disagree on the date, I think it's actually early 19th.

13. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

That was from valuemystuff.com
    Not sure how good they are.

14. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Well, all I can say is that these 2 things in their report are contradictory:

Date 1900s
    -and-
    A good quality item which is late 19th century and in the late 18th century style

yourturntoloveit and komokwa like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

I suspect they've not seen much English furniture of the period, to be honest. And it would be fair to comment that styles hung on in the US after they'd been superseded to some degree here. That back isn't late 19th or early 20th.

16. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

I saw that error about "1900s" and brought it to their attention. They fixed it pretty quick to say "Late 19th Century".

And they are UK based, so that would make sense about getting the period wrong. Im probably just going to say 1800s in my description. Just throwing it on craigs here for about $300obo.

Thanks again for all the help. Learned a lot.

Hopefully I find something else to throw up on here sometime.

17. Ownedbybear

Being faintly vague is sensible. Good luck!

Draft saved Draft deleted