Featured Antique? chinese pendant ?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by charlie cheswick, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Personally I won’t take it (even if it was for free) I don’t want any of that in my house..I know it’s part of history and all but it just wouldn’t feel right to me..

2. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

I was trying to make a point kome, but I think you've answered it !!!

Houseful and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

what point..........I was anxwering a question........

charlie cheswick likes this.
  4. charlie cheswick

As bad as it may seem, and I'm sorry

I would buy it, just because

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
  5. charlie cheswick

Nah, just the point that dark things are collectable

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. komokwa

dark to someone , may be light to another...

I was once shown the basement where a German family hid from the American bombs.......as their town burned...

7. charlie cheswick

You know that look on someone when they know they are out of their depth !

komokwa likes this.
  8. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Oregon Antiquities Law-If after one of our interminable rains,I walk out into our fully paid-for property,spy a Clovis Point protruding from the mud,and pick it up-there's a good chance I'm committing an illegal act on my own property.I'll email the state archaeology office to clarify.
    Komo & Charlie-there's tons of Third Reich memorabilia for sale on the web-real ? I never knew there were so many Nazis in India & China.

charlie cheswick and kyratango like this.
  9. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Dark things are very collectible-type in the term 'Haunted' on Ebay and You'll be smothered in an avalanche of possessed clown dolls,poor rubes-'what fools these morsels be !'.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  10. komokwa

Ahhhh, ya see, there's that word !

Charlie described a German uniform...... not a Nazi uniform..

As far as I'm concerned.. all Nazis were German....
    but not all Germans were Nazis ..:stop:

and he didn't say what size the uniform was...;):playful:

[​IMG]

11. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Me neither but I wear my mother’s 60s-70s ivory all the time. I get an occasional nasty comment but I just ignore them. No animal should be killed for its ivory ever again (not that it isn’t being done as I peck…) but keeping my pieces in a drawer won’t bring the animals back and the jewelry has sentimental value for me.

Naive to think older pieces aren’t constantly being sold as bone, bakelite, etc. I can’t go to any flea without seeing ivory.

12. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Nazi items? I think I’ve posted this before but I know someone who has added to his father’s collection of personally owned Hitler items. I flipped the first time I saw the collection-I was totally creeped out until I understood where they were coming from-wealthy Jewish Survivor family and the father’s drive was that Hitler should drop dead (turn in his grave) knowing so much of his personal stuff was in a Jewish home. I remember picking up a Hitler telephone and really getting nauseated but for that family it was a healing bit of revenge.

Definitely all Nazis were not German as AJ already quoted and for sure we have plenty of non German Nazis throughout the world.

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Unfortunately not all Nazis were German. There were some deluded and very right wing young Dutch men who joined the SS. Many of them with a criminal record and ready to fight the wrong fight. Needless to say they had to stand trial and their Dutch citizenship was revoked after WWII.
    There were also quite a few Flemish young men who joined, due to the conflict between the language communities in Belgium. I know there were deluded and nasty people in other parts of Europe as well.

Having been raised in a Dutch Resistance family after the war (Resistance mentality continued), I choke every time I see Nazi memorablia.
    Absolutely. There were also German Resistance groups, for instance.

My grandparents knew the family of an anti-Nazi journalist who had fled Germany in the 30s. After the war the journalist's widow and children were about to be sent to a prison camp, but my grandfather, with his name in the Resistance, vouched for them and they were set free.

14. komokwa

I didn't mean to offend...:sorry:

15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

My mama kept her curlers in an SS Mein Kampf wedding box. A boyfriend had liberated it. Ma felt it would have really pissed off the original owner.

16. Any Jewelry

You didn't.:kiss: You posted a photo of a cute doggie.:joyful:
    Didn't even know there was such a thing.:bucktooth:

My paternal grandfather, also Resistance member, had a copy of Mein Kampf. He wanted to know what the Austrian madman had in mind, so he would be prepared and could warn his neighbours (they lived in the Jewish neighbourhood of Groningen).

17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

They were carved wooden boxes with the SS flash on the lid. Apparently, a copy of Mein Kampf was given to every officer as a wedding gift. Ma kept it in a drawer, rather than on display.

When she died, I ummed and ahhed about it. Phoned a local Jewish museum and spoke to a lovely woman. I knew they had some Nazi stuff, so I wanted to offer it. They already had one. So, my dear, she said, sell the thing and enjoy the proceeds. I did. Not to anyone ghoulish, I checked them out.

Didn't get as much as this, though!

https://regimentals.co.uk/shop.php?code=71278

bercrystal, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Hope it went to a Holocaust museum or to a Jewish home…the thought of someone wanting that as a treasure is beyond disgusting.

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

:jawdrop: Perfect wedding gift though, a madman's frustrations and how he wanted to 'cope' with them. Every young couple's dream.;)
    A second little revenge.:joyful:

kyratango, Ownedbybear and reader like this.
  20. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I couldn’t live with it either. At one time I had a few pieces of Black Americana including a serious piece of art. I rehomed all of it and made a donation on the art.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted