Featured Antique (1800 or 1900?) Locket/Brooch Mystery

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by a_la_sevigne, Aug 28, 2024.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Good point. It sounds like there was recess where the pin fit in, could there have been a chain, too? Something over it, but not sure how that would work. You'd think ring box, but there would be a horizontal opening then. This piece is unfolding a bunch of mysteries, some maybe becoming solved.

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

No, but some antique miniatures were done on Celluloid to get the look.

mirana likes this.
  3. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I have what I think is an antique dance card with celluloid pages and I can't imagine trying to get those to absorb properly! They must have made the material with different textures/absorbing properties.

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Maybe there was some sort of preparatory coating they could put on? Or the paint used was different? I'm just pulling things out of the air.

mirana likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I turned, cropped and tweaked the photo a bit, and think you are right, the Fuchskopfpunze with A for Vienna and a 4 on the right.
    The other mark looks like an Austrian import mark to me, but again, I could be wrong:

AIMG_5690.jpeg

For comparison a sharper Vienna Fuchskopfpunze, on the right:

Anhaenger-mit-Schlangenmotiv2.jpg

kyratango, komokwa, Dessert58 and 2 others like this.
  6. a_la_sevigne

a_la_sevigne Member

Wow that looks so much like it! Thanks so much @Any Jewelry @DragonflyWink and @kyratango

Yes, I can see how the box is puzzling. I haven’t seen many like it that’s for sure.

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted