Featured Another Chest - Age, Style?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by mark737, Sep 11, 2021.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Not to keep beating a dead horse but, there is a reason this kind of piece is being offered at a thrift store, they had no offers anywhere else.
    Whatever happened to the Frankenstein chest? Did it sell & how much did it go for?

judy likes this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

@James Conrad: I think you missed that Mark said a resale (consignment) shop not a thrift.

Later he said this: "It's currently $625 but it drops to $312 next month and $156 in November." This is typical of consignment places in my neck of the woods. First month full price, 2nd month half price, 3rd month another half price off and then it goes back to the person who owns it.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    judy and James Conrad like this.
  3. James Conrad

There was another thread where the "Frankenstein" chest was born recently posted by Mark. Loves the term "Frankenstein chest", DEAD FUNNY! still chuckles about it!
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/four-drawer-chest.65025/

The now FAMOUS! Frankenstein chest was for sale @ $175.
    In my view, anytime one has an "antique" piece of furniture for sale at that kind of number, it's a thrift shop, junk shop, flea market shop, consignment shop, pick your adjective shop, it doesn't really matter what you call it, all basically the same dealio.

judy and wiscbirddog like this.
  4. James Conrad

Of course, I have never actually been in a thrift store so I am guessing here a little. I will also guess the last stop for this type of furniture is probably an "antique mall" where it will sit sometimes for decades as people stroll by shopping for only god knows what.

judy likes this.
  5. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

LOL :D

Guess I was just trying to explain how Mark knows ahead of time what the price on this will be in a month and then in two months (resale shop).

judy and James Conrad like this.
  6. James Conrad

Hey! I have been to quite a few "antique malls", killing time on a lazy Sunday afternoon! :)
    So I got THAT! goin for me! :p

judy and wiscbirddog like this.
  7. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

Here in Texas, in addition to typical thrift stores (Goodwill, Salvation Army etc.) and for-profit consignment stores, we have charity consignment stores. These are staffed by volunteers and sell a combination of donated and consigned items. Furniture-wise, they mostly get your mass-produced, mid-level brands like Drexel and Thomasville, but on occasion they do get some true antiques and high-end MCM pieces. And as wiscbirddog mentioned, they price items on the high side to start, and then have them drop by a set % every month, or every two weeks at smaller shops.

The Frankenstein chest was in Houston, where I was visiting for a few days, so I don't know what became of it. My guess is the price dropped from $175 to $130 or $87 and it sold.

8. James Conrad

OK so, LONG LIVE THE FRANKENSTEIN CHEST!:)

mark737 likes this.
  9. mark737

10. James Conrad

THE MAN - THE MYTH - THE LEGEND!
    The Frankenkstein Chest

mark737 likes this.
  11. James Conrad

Mark & these late colonial - early federal chest of drawer forms........
    I do believe he is SMITTEN!

12. mark737

I'm a sucker for value in general, and it's hard to think of a higher quality-to-price ratio in furniture than you see with some of these chests. Especially if you live where Francisco is and can get them for $70.

James Conrad likes this.
  13. mark737

Just to put a cap on this thread, I went by the resale shop today and the chest was gone - sold at $625. Maybe there's hope yet for brown furniture.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    James Conrad likes this.
  14. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

I guess it is not fair for me to say $70 as they are more 2018/2020 prices. Lately prices are up a little. I am seeing georgian chest sell now for $200. That is not a price rise, just seems to be less supply and sharper demand for quality, a victorian chest might not even sell for half that . 1900's Edwardian chest can still sell for $30. However these are all low end furniture, An intricately carved Chest will sel higher, Campaign Chest always sell high as do Georgian talls and Scoth and other quality iterms like that. Anything quality and the price is very unpredicatable. Good days and bad days. I think people are more concious where they can get Antique furniture post covid, also many auction houses went online during this period. The market is different now. Still ups and downs. but more unpredictability.

James Conrad and mark737 like this.
  15. James Conrad

Indeed, I just paid 6k for a piece of brown furniture so......
    Quality sells itself almost, no matter the era or style.

Francisco G Kempton and mark737 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted