Featured And a tale of lost and found

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ownedbybear, Feb 22, 2023.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm looking for something I promised to send a boardie.... (sigh)

I did weigh the thing. Almost five grammes. And in doing so, found a bracelet I;d forgotten which is also part of an albertina.

These are often lighter than they look. The orbs are hollow, and the chains themselves made, beautifully, out of quite thin gold.

image1.jpeg image0.jpeg

2. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

What fun and a story to go with it,

3. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

I think that you're right on on the dating but wrong on "ladies". It was unisex. Men and women both had lapel pockets. Watch went into the pocket with the tassels and chain hanging out. Some had an additional chain that went into a button hole for safety. These could also be used in any pocket. My guess id 9c gold? Missing is the watch clip. Nice, nice piece.

KSW, Bronwen, Lark and 3 others like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Men's watch chains were generally much chunkier. Albertina is the term often used for the smaller lighter ones, being the female variant of Albert! Having said that, you do get fancy versions for men, too.

KSW, mirana, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  5. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Oh yeh, I’d have guessed double that or more. I’ve never had the pleasure of owning one. Funny how that whole contraption weighs less than a pretty average ring.

6. Ownedbybear

I think Victorian goldsmiths were masterful at making intricate pieces with little gold. Many items were hollow. That bracelet, which I love, is only 7.5 grammes but looks lovely on. (I bought it decades ago, little jeweller in Cardiff, sixty quid!)

KSW, J Dagger, mirana and 4 others like this.
  7. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

Oh my...I love tassels and this is a magnificent one!
    Handbags ARE black holes.
    I m sure in my house resides a family of borrowers though because of all the small stuff that gets lost and never found.

8. Ownedbybear

My other half has an abiding terror of my handbag and refuses to get anything from it.

Oh, Borrowers. I loved those books. Mama and I were convinced they lived in ours.

KSW, ola402, Any Jewelry and 5 others like this.
  9. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I LOVE it. Really gorgeous. The star detail is just that little bit extra. That chain is fantastic too. I will be forever jealous of the markets and boot sales you have over there. :arghh:

KSW, Any Jewelry, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

He's afraid HE would fall in and never be seen again!

KSW, kyratango, bercrystal and 2 others like this.
  11. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I’ll say!!! Great way to help sniff out unmarked gold. Is this light for its size? More likely to be gold!

KSW, bercrystal and Dessert58 like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

It can help date it. Some years back, the gold price was quite low, which meant Aussie mines got abandoned. It also meant makers were less picky about being economical with gold.

KSW, bercrystal and kyratango like this.
  13. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

You made me laugh because your husband and your handbag reminded me of a woman in the grocery store. Her young son went into her handbag for something and then I was privileged to over hear her teaching him that "a man Never goes into a woman's handbag" etc. It was hilarious but he got the message.

What is the Borrowers? Is that a set of books? Never heard of it. Off to the net to check.

KSW and bercrystal like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

The Borrowers by Mary Norton. Lovely lovely books.

15. Dessert58

I was thinking about the Ghibli movie 'Karigurashi no Arietti' but yes, its based on the Borrowers books :D

16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I read them in Dutch as a child (De leentjeburen), and later saw the movie with Jim Broadbent.

Dessert58, KSW and Ownedbybear like this.
  17. Ownedbybear

I am a massive Ghibli fan. Spirited Away is utter genius.

18. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I have a rotation of Ghibli movies that every time I watch one I say "This one is definitely the best one" and then I watch another and no, that's the best one. Divine level storytelling and craft.

19. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

There is a rotation in my house of -lose the jewellery scales, find the loupe, lose the loupe, find the ring sizer, lose the sizer, find the polish cloth, lose that, find the pliers etc etc. The circle is endless……

bercrystal, Bakersgma, mirana and 2 others like this.
  20. Dessert58

I m also a massive Ghibli fan!
    My girls refuse to watch the movies with me because I let them watch them too many times when they were smaller :(
    I m sure they will come around soon though.
    Every single item I put my hands on gets lost the second I turn around! Its a curse. Chaos surrounds me.
    The kids are excellent finders though! :D

bercrystal, Any Jewelry and mirana like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted