Ancient/modern hieroglyph or language I don't know???

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Ihaveolditems, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Ihaveolditems

Ihaveolditems Active Member

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I do know factually that my grandfather bought it the year before the Shah was overthrown, it is very large, and the story The seller had was that it was made in the Desert. Who knows maybe it was made by a Jewish raised artist influenced by the native language who spoke multiple languages. Or perhaps he made it for sale and the one he kept has different writing on it? My grandpa never said they're identical but did say it was purportedly 1of2. Any idea what a Jewish art collector would pay? We need insurance values for these. I suspect the price it's cost to track down the remaining plate,fly to the country it's in and purchase it should be a reasonable number :) and Also regarding the Chinese seeming bowl with the script/imperial seal on it, could anyone translate it or maybe identify which dynasty/seal it is? I have a feeling it is 1600s to 1820s but have no proof/evidence of anything one way or the other. Just the deal would be the proof in the pudding. Thanks!

2. Ihaveolditems

Also The tin plate is not mine... yet. It was promised to my Christian uncle by my grandfather, who recently decided to cut my uncle out of his will completely. All items go to my parents. And apparently my mom told my grandpa she doesn't want it if uncle does and it was promised to him. The look on his face when my sister loaded it into the van.... I'm sure it was upsetting. But we will probably give him it after My grandpa and grandma pass, as they will be my mothers items to do with as she pleases . We do need to insure our households items some time soon though. So I guess a figure of $10,000 is as accurate as a lower number. I feel this is an Israeli auction worthy item

3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'm looking at all the itmes you have and thinking of all the back stories people tell about their belongings. I don't want to cast aspersions on anyone in your family, but you have to be objective about it. My parents had a second hand store so I've been in the business for 60 years, having started helping them at age 8. Most of the stories are either not true, or have been embellished over the years. Some guy in Iran tells you that the item he's selling is hundreds of years old - it just gives him validation for charging an outrageous amount of money for a tourist piece that you could buy in the souk for $15. Just keep that in mind when you are looking for valuations.

4. Ihaveolditems

appreciate the reply. i do try to be objective but i assume when one buys over 150 items made of brass, the chances are at lease one of them is legitimately as advertised. figured id pass on the information given, take it in with a whole shaker of salt if it helps :) i dont know what the people selling these items said beyond where they came from& occasionally what they are used for. and of course i know when they were bought by good ol' Gpops. That lithograph of macgregor's queen of the sea comes through the other half of the family and i know is atleast 80 years old. Can you believe my mother said she was going to THROW IT OUT!(prior to and after i said how much it was worth according to the internet in 2007) as it was my fathers mothers who is now deceased. but she was born i believe in 1914. and it was her parents' as she grew up probably. any information of # produced or if the original frame is that frame definitely. who produced it? was the original painting put in a museum?

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I am sorry, when I said "The mark looks like an imperial seal, but this item wasn't produced in an imperial workshop" I meant it has nothing to do with any emperor or dynasty. It is a late 19th-early 20th century item, of the kind tourists brought back at the time. I have two dragon bowls in the same style and of the same period, they came down through the family as well. Neither yours nor mine are
    the kind of item that is of interest to anyone seriously collecting Chinese antiques.

Oh dear, I hate to say this, but nothing, because it is not Jewish art.
    It has the value of a handmade souvenir of a considerable size. Vintage Israeli souvenirs are bought by Jewish people in the West, but at the value the item itself represents. They don't pay for the good story.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted