Featured 4,5 billion year old antique

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by hunt2, Jun 21, 2024.

1. Desertau

Desertau Well-Known Member

Cleaned up it looks like slag possibly, another common leverite.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Desertau

Iron stone from Southern California, gold basin meteorite, iron nickel Campo de Cellio (sp?) Argentina, iron nickel meteorite China.
    IMG_2024-06-22-204420.jpeg

second pic is iron stone close up.
    IMG_2024-06-22-204103.jpeg

Close up Gold Basin meteorite.
    IMG_2024-06-22-204150.jpeg

Argentina iron/nickel
    IMG_2024-06-22-204315.jpeg IMG_2024-06-22-204217.jpeg

Finally another iron/nickel from China.
    IMG_2024-06-22-204347.jpeg

Marote and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Desertau

Did you use a stiff wire brush on an electric motor?

im asking because your chunk of iron looks a little like the meteorite from Argentina. So if you cleaned it with the wire brush that could remove evidence of regmaglypts that look a little like a finger print.

One more test polish a window to a very high shine and use an acidic product like wink rust stain remover will over time etch the surface at different rates for nickel vs iron revealing a Widmanstatten pattern if it were meteoritic.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2024
  4. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

I am sorry i should not have done that, but i notice that one wrong word or sentence and everything goś sideways. And it is also alot of misunderstanding on my side especialy with long teksts and complicated terms. But maybe it is already to late.

5. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

I cleaned it with a stiff wire brush, but this object was so badly weathered that al the regmaglypts were gone but i could have ruined it. But it needed to know what the material was. I also posted it also on cloudy knights and they said it is probebly not a meteorite because the patrons on the iron is to fine.

6. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

the location where the rocks from the pile where found is an old gravel pit in the Ooijpolder

7. Desertau

No worries, most times these are earthly but if buy chance it etches a pattern it is and if there is no pattern from the acid it isn’t, the acid in Whink is not very strong so give it time.

If memory serves me I believe another chemical ferric Chloride is also used to etch metal.

8. Desertau

Cloudy Nights is a good resource, Nugget Shooter forums was also frequented by experts, one in particular was Mike Stang but that site went down. Detector Prospector and Treasure net are two more places you can post images and get opinions from those that know.

9. Desertau

10. Desertau

Something else I find a lot of hunting meteorites are bullets, bird shot, cartridge casings from spent rounds some large caliber from aircraft and bomb fragments covered in rust with desert varnish that are very meteoritic looking, they did not etch a pattern.

I have XRF tested a few all came back a mixture of modern and/or similar to ordinance.

Hay maybe It could also be a very old chunk of steel lost by some Viking black smith after forging it to make a sword that would be cool.

komokwa likes this.
  11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

My youngest son gave me this piece a number of years ago. 1 inch by 3 inches.

meteor 005a.jpg

Desertau and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted