Featured 4,5 billion year old antique

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by hunt2, Jun 21, 2024.

1. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Really come on now.. Be serious! Size matters,could only be a juvenile dinosaur.

Marote, Any Jewelry and Chinoiserie like this.
  2. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Just exploring all avenues.

Boland and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

On a heavy metal diet. Kids!:rolleyes:

Marote, Boland and Chinoiserie like this.
  4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Excellent. Always think outside the box!

Any Jewelry and Chinoiserie like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Heavy m.jpeg

6. Chinoiserie

Marote and J Dagger like this.
  7. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

just by the amount of rust on it

8. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

wel the object itself is 4,5 billion years old if it is a meteorite and it probebly landed 10.000 years ago on earth.

9. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

well it thought what the heck i am going to clean it and then i will know more. It turns out to be a hunk of iron. IMG_20240622_172114529.jpg IMG_20240622_172130654.jpg IMG_20240622_172122189.jpg

10. Chinoiserie

Isn't that what some meteorites are though? Hunks of iron?

11. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

Well i wil go along your whole list of requests. First all the rocks from that rockpile came from the site i mentioned in the beginning. The original finder has told me so.

Second an agate can never be as heavy or heavier as this hunk of iron seen last post with cleaned item. Meteorites fall everywhere . And irons are the one that can survive a very long time even in whet climates.

And it was just a gues how long this stone has been on earth but i am looking at the ages of the time spent on earth of the most found iron meteorites.

12. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

well for the iron meteorites yes

13. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

14. Any Jewelry

You can never date anything by the amount of rust on it. There are so many factors to be taken into acount.
    Don't try to be cute, that doesn't help with your query. Besides, you didn't tell me which expert said it wasn't a meteorite, nor did you say you would ask one of the (other) museums.
    You didn't mention any site, only "in the Netherlands" and "a garden".
    You're forgetting that I live in the Netherlands as well. So I know that there aren't many rocks in the Netherlands, and I also know that most rocks in Dutch gardens are imported.

I thought it might be of interest to you to find the origin of the possible meteorite, and if there were any other meteorites in the region of origin, which is why I asked. If it were mine I would like to know, but I guess you don't care. Fine, scrap that question.
    Second, if you gave us the correct size and weight, it clearly was.
    I know they do, and I know they can, and not just iron. I don't know why you assume that I am so ignorant that I wouldn't know that.

Just for your information:
    This is the last time I tried to help you. You always have such an attitude and think you know everything better than the people who are trying to help you, when you clearly don't.
    Granted, in the end you always admit that you were wrong, but that process of gaining insight takes too long for me. I am not going on that negative roller coaster with you again.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2024
    BoudiccaJones likes this.
  15. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

16. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

very sad. top marks for you girl

17. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Neat item, but I always thought of antiques as an object that represents a previous era or time period in human history, objects that show some degree of craftsmanship or an attention to design.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Being rude to Any Jewelry is a good way to insure you won't get any more help from many of us here.

19. Desertau

Desertau Well-Known Member

You can test for nickel yourself.;) Charlie's link has instructions.[/QUOTE]
    I find meteorites fairly often in northern Arizona, one of the characteristics I look for after digging one up after a signal on the detector and confirming a rusty surface and fusion crust I’ll use a diamond flat lap to cut a window I’ll then polish to 2500 grit although the important details are clear at 400 grit. What you will see in meteorites that are chondrites that have iron/nickel is the presences of metallic threads this observable metal is almost entirely unique to the atmospheric conditions found in rocks formed in space, you will also see in the polished window chondrules. Testing for dissolved iron nickel chemically is not unique but the ratios can be XRF will provide the exact ratio of compounds in your specimen, I’ve taken rocks to pawn shops they usually have one for testing and charge anywhere from free to $15 and get a print out.

This is classified as a Gold Basin Arizona L4 Chondrite, the fusion crust is polished off this one I cut and set In a ring I found, the white lines and dots are the iron nickel threads, the larger round dots are chondrules.

IMG_2024-06-22-194214.jpeg

Marote and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Desertau

Desertau Well-Known Member

What I do see in the first pictures are rocks I too picked up in the beginning looking, well hoping the thing I dug that wasn’t trash or sadly gold might just be a space rock. The surface is shiny like fusion crust, right? It’s magnetic, heavy and rusty… well something very commonly associated with gold in the presence of highly mineralized soil is and abundance of iron stone and until you have held a few real meteorites they do look pretty good. In fact I have several hunderd pounds of Iron stone it’s a very attractive rock that takes a beautiful silvery black high polish and is a semi precious gem stone I think.

fusion crust is fairly thick, fractures can be common from thermal shock the melting is only a surface feature that happens very quick from I think it’s called Ram Force pressure heat generated by friction generated by the resistance pressure in the atmosphere, or close to that anyway. I’ll add a picture of one with obvious fusion crust.

one more huge red flag is any quartz that might be visible from clear crystals to stained or white bull quartz.

another challenging question is how it got there when we have no such mineral in our location and the answer is people, like me will pick them up because… and then toss them away.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted