Featured 28" tall mystery figural man on horse and sea serpent. Any idea on who these characters are?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Feb 9, 2024.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

But Wings!

Bronwen and Marote like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I am not a classicist. Compared to that of genuine academic scholars in the field, my knowledge is quite shallow. I always loved mythology, & my interest in cameos & other engraved gems has pulled me into that world.
    But thank you for the praise. It's never unwelcome! :)

kentworld, komokwa, Figtree3 and 5 others like this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Is that a short sword in the original piece? Or a dagger? And looks like he had two of them? One to kill the dragon and one to brandish.

And I love the "over the top-ness" of it.

wlwhittier and Bronwen like this.
  4. fambord

fambord New Member

Hello. I own this piece. Does anyone know who it’s by? What it’s called? I can provide photos.

5. fambord

fambord New Member

Hello. I own this piece. Does anyone know who it’s by? What it’s called? I can provide photos.

Attached Files:

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Bronwen

This is Perseus rescuing Andromeda from the sea monster.

upload_2024-6-7_14-56-51.jpeg

Figtree3, stracci, Marote and 2 others like this.
  7. fambord

fambord New Member

Thank you so much! My father bought this piece and I have no way of contacting him. Is there a way I can find this statue’s brand, who made it? I want a way to reconnect with my father.

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Bronwen

I don't know where my head was that day. Think I wasn't decoding the hero's head gear properly & was getting thrown by it. This is absolutely Perseus & Andromeda, as 2manybooks proposed.

Perseus is conventionally shown 2 ways. One is wearing a Phrygian cap, as he does in Canova's sculpture. The other is like this:

Perseus excellent 1 adj.jpg

Figtree3, kentworld and Marote like this.
  9. Bronwen

We were not successful in ascribing a maker for the original post. Maybe with a second example the community will give it another go. Could we see the bottom of your piece, even if there does not appear to be anything of interest there?

Draft saved Draft deleted