2 Asian Vases: Multi Billions or Just Multi Pennies?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by vitry-le-francois, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

When I do a close up of the first vase, photo 3, it almost looks like it could be cloisonne rather than enamel. I can't quite tell from the photos, are separations (like the scales on the dragon) inside the designs metal? Are the colors poured in?

The lamp from photo looks like enamel, but really hard to tell either for sure.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

The plot thickens... for my "lamp", anyway... turns out my ol' man's first wife had some metal urns, even a spittoon (ewww), MADE into lamps. Gee, who DOES that? So my lamp may have BEEN something else once, most likely coming from MOM (my ol' man)'s aunt who collected antiques... she also was overseas, in Japan, in the 50s. I took a magnifying glass and from what I could see... it resembles the cloisonné close-ups I was just studying... applied metal outlines, enamel painted in. The shade and metal fixtures and wooden base (I can't tell how they're attached) are all unmarked and generic-looking. Still, the lamp has languished in the basement for ages. Maybe it deserves a dusting and a trip upstairs.
    A quick Google yielded this... interesting, to me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bra...se+china+dragon+handles&imgrc=0beYyb-qCC3_-M:

3. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Good keyword for the first one is champleve and probably Chinese, second one is typical of Korea and is inlaid lacquer on brass/bronze.

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Loro,
    Neiman Marcus bought a lot of Chinese pieces in the late70s and early 80s. As did a lot of upper end department stores. A Chinese curator from the Met and I spent nearly 5 hrs in Altmans dept store in Manhattan looking through a large I mean large stack of Chinese vases and porcelain plates. We found 5 really old plates mixed in with the "antique's and newer plates. Only one old vase (175 yrs old) the 5 plates were over 200 years old. I think we paid 75 dollars for the 6 pieces. I know my share when they were sold was 3k that was profit. When we were done I felt a little better about picking out pieces than I did in the beginning. I wanted to go to Bloomingdales the next day but it was about 3 weeks later. I found one really old plate which I still have. I miss the old flea markets on Canal St. My best Chinese sale was a plate I found for 1 dollar at a yard sale in Denmark in 1980. It brought over seven hundred dollars when I sold it. I wish I had held on to it until 5 years ago. My Met lady told me it would have gone for 4 thousand then.
    greg

5. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

WOWWW... thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Who knew?
    Well... you did, Tio Gregorio.

Draft saved Draft deleted